Anyone watch the Dr Phil show about hoarders ?

XXX

• Members
Originally posted by danbomb

I have a very effective way to deal with gas. Check how many of your guitars need string changes. While your at it fix anything that needs it and check action and intonation. Still need another guitar?

Thats part of the process for me that I really enjoy , the cleaning the fixing the putting on the new strings the setting up , man I love that part of it the most after the finding and the buying . :D

• Members
Originally posted by docjeff

Interesting discussion, and like him or not, Dr. Phil is correct about this one. (Personally, I've never seen the Dr. Phil show.)

I read a post from a person on this forum who bought five guitars in one day--all of them fairly cheap imports. I don't know the person and perhaps he or she was going to sell some of them, but it struck me as a bit odd--like a red flag. I could easily see myself buying a $150 Douglas, SX, or Squire, every month if I were not careful.

Hoarding involves buying stuff that is viewed as junk or worthless to the outside world, which would certainly describe some of the guitars that folks around here collect (OK, that was mean spirited, but I could not resist). From a website:

"Hoarding is often a specific symptom of OCD which results in people keeping large amounts of items that to the outside world are considered excessive or worthless/useless. It is also still being researched much and surrounded with much secrecy and shame.

But read some of the figures below and you will soon realize that if you are here because you Hoard, you are certainly not alone in this.

Is important to realize however that Hoarding isn't solely linked or associated to OCD, and can be found independently but cause equal distress. "

I'll be the first to admit that I need to keep myself in check--that's the main reason that I don't buy cheap guitars. I also make sure that I play at least two hours per day and that all of my guitars get a good workout every other day or so.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm feeling anxious, so I'm going to log into Musicians Friend and see if they have something cheap on closeout.

hmm the outside world might see my collection as excessive but not worthless perhaps I am really a collector and not a hoarder , I feel better already and should get 2 guitars this month after all ;)

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarPorter

Thats part of the process for me that I really enjoy , the cleaning the fixing the putting on the new strings the setting up , man I love that part of it the most after the finding and the buying .
:D

Rediscovering a guitar I already have is almost (but not quite) as good as getting another used on off Ebay!

Billy Gibbons says he "found" the Gretsch he has been recording with lately during a walk with his guitar techs through the ZZTop archives (envision a warehouse of '59 LPs and every other good thing you can imagine).

• Members

I like to collect stuff im into. In the early 90s i got into guitars the first time and i had about 20. Then i got into somthing else and sold all of my guitars but 1 guitar and one bass. I used the mone to collect things for my other hobby. Back then there was no e-bay so i lost money. This time i wont lose as much i m ay even make money or break even. I am how ever a packrat. I never throw anything away. It never fails if i throw somthing away like a scrap of wood or somthing stupid, ill need it to fix somthing im using now. It never fails i swear. I threw some old newspaper away then the next day i needed it to tape off a guitar so over spray didnt get all over it. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Gearasameanstoamusicalend

Collecting and hoarding are very different. Hoarding interferes with normal daily function and/or personal relationships. Item acquisition desire is never satisfied. The hoarding behavior is one that insulates one from anxiety. However, the behavior also causes anxiety that leads to more hoarding.

Many people with GAS get very agitated and anxious when that next guitar catches their eye! (Use batotman as a case study.)

Archived