Squier '51 $30 discount from MF??

Steve Matthews

• Members

Click your way over there and buy one ASAP! They don't ship to Canada, or else I'd consider getting another one.

These babies are great guitars. I just got a black pickguard for my Blackie, love this guitar. It just sounds so good. The neck is the best part (no I'm not a vampire).

See my Squier '51 page, with the new pickguard in place - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

• Members

Yes, I agree, AHM, and that's why when things got hectic for me, I postponed my taling pictures of the Eastwood. I really think the 51 would be a better buy at this particular time. The Eastwood is great, but everything I read, and rotren's site, convince me that the 51 is a versatile guitar, and that would allow your sister to grow with the guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by rotren

Click your way over there and buy one ASAP! They don't ship to Canada, or else I'd consider getting another one.

These babies are great guitars. I just got a black pickguard for my Blackie, love this guitar. It just sounds so good. The neck is the best part (no I'm not a vampire).

See my Squier '51 page, with the new pickguard in place -
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

Thanks for the post! I just ordered the vintage blonde which unfortunately ships with a white pickguard. Can you tell me where you picked up the black pickguard and how much it set you back?

I was planning on going to www.pickguards.com, but since they custom cut them from tracings, they're not too cheap.

Thanks

• Members

I got it from a guy who found my website and offered to send it to me. He got the wrong pickguard from where he ordered his '51, so he asked for them to send him the correct guard, and they did. He therefore ended up with 2 of them, and sent me the one he didn't need. I'm thankful!

• Members
Originally posted by Steve Matthews

Thanks for the post! I just ordered the vintage blonde which unfortunately ships with a white pickguard. Can you tell me where you picked up the black pickguard and how much it set you back?

I was planning on going to
www.pickguards.com,
but since they custom cut them from tracings, they're not too cheap.

Thanks

www.pickguards.com are not cheap. I bought a custom cut (from a tracing) pickguard for my Tele copy, and they charged $70. :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

www.pickguards.com
are not cheap. I bought a custom cut (from a tracing) pickguard for my Tele copy, and they charged $70.
:eek:

Yeah, that's about what I guessed (and maybe a 10 spot or so higher).

I got a price quote once on the phone and remembered it was up there.

I'm first going to get a new pg from them for my Peavey Reactor (telel copy).

I imagine the price varies a bit depending upon your material/color choice.

Which pattern did you go with for your tele at $70?

And were you happy with the fit?

• Members

Originally posted by Fill

How do you know that they ship with a white pickguard?

Three reasons:

1) I saw one at a local store that was blonde with a white pickguard. The store clerk said that's the way they are coming in. He said it was probably a cost savings measure so they would only have one pickguard to screw on in the assembly line. (Every penny counts on these thin margin guitars) But I did play it, and it sounded nice.

2) If you look at the Fender site or any other on-line dealer, it will show the black pickguard, but if you read the "specs" it will say "single ply white pickguard". Some of the on-line dealers have separate pages for each color, and the white pickguard spec is always repeated.

3) I've posted this comment several times here on HC and nobody has ever refuted it. There is one post (maybe in this thread) where someone bought one with the black pickguard, but he explained that they are shipping them that way to the U.K.

I think it's really nuts. It messes up the whole '51 bass vintage resemblance scheme. But if you don't already have a sufficient supply of two-tone or black guitars, then no problem. I went with the blonde anyway. I will probably just suffer the cost of getting a custom replacement later on down the road.

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Matthews

Three reasons:

1) I saw one at a local store that was blonde with a white pickguard. The store clerk said that's the way they are coming in. He said it was probably a cost savings measure so they would only have one pickguard to screw on in the assembly line. (Every penny counts on these thin margin guitars) But I did play it, and it sounded nice.

2) If you look at the Fender site or any other on-line dealer, it will show the black pickguard, but if you read the "specs" it will say "single ply white pickguard". Some of the on-line dealers have separate pages for each color, and the white pickguard spec is always repeated.

3) I've posted this comment several times here on HC and nobody has ever refuted it. There is one post (maybe in this thread) where someone bought one with the black pickguard, but he explained that they are shipping them that way to the U.K.

I think it's really nuts. It messes up the whole '51 bass vintage resemblance scheme. But if you don't already have a sufficient supply of two-tone or black guitars, then no problem. I went with the blonde anyway. I will probably just suffer the cost of getting a custom replacement later on down the road.

I've seen them with both - my guess would be they started assembling before the black PGs were ready, or they ran out and used the white for awhile, so it's depending on the batch made, not where they are shipping to.

Archived