Lets talk tele's

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I am looking to buy an american tele, but I haven't decided on Fender or G&L (I'm on a bit of a low budget, has to be deep under a grand, maybe at the most 800)

I used to hear about G&L being so much better, but lately I think the vibe is they have both declined quite a bit and now niether is better or worse, just different... so here's what I want, first of all, I want single coils and a maple neck, and there is the price restraint I mentioned earlier... as far as tone, I'm looking for a step away from the chickin pickin twang tele's are known for... Think more jazzy and thick... I played an american "fat" tell I think its called, with the hum in the bridge, and that neck tone was golden... couldn't stop playing it, just drove me nuts... so does that mean I should stick with fender or is G&L more what I might be looking for? or should I sell body parts and go with a Grosh?

• Members

Sounds to me like you already found the guitar you should be buying right now. You loved playing it, the tone was golden: What else would you want?
Well, like all of us, no matter how happy you will be with an instrument, you will always think that it can be even better and will buy others, but for now, I think the Fender American you played--even if it is the first (or one of the first) Telecasters that you've played-- is the one you should buy.

Just my opinion

• Members

its an old one that a buddy of mine has... if i could find that exact one, i would buy it for sure, I have never really seen it in musicians friend or any of those "we have 25 different kinds of tele" type of places... I'm assuming its called a "Fat Tele" because the strats with a hum in the bridge are usually called "Fat Strats" right?

• Members

On monday american standard tele's are gonna be 629 out the door at GC... I want to bring one home so bad, but they won't allow trades because its a holiday and I only really have like 300 bucks in my "musicians fund"

I got tons of stuff I'd part with to own a tele, but I can't do any trades

• Members

Somebody say TELE's?

Fender Blackout Tele (59/Pearly Gates, $299 at MF after coupon link)
Picture031.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Fender FMT Tele (Jazz/JB w/coil tap, discontinued in this color)
IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Squier Protone Thinline (Duncan Quarter Pounds, discontinued)
IMG_1797.jpg

p><p>><br
Squier Tele Custom II (Duncan Designed P90's, $179 (in black) with source code 508T at MF....excellent value)
Tele_Custom.jpg

For $300.....GET THE BLACKOUT!

or for $319 you can get a Fender MIM Standard (also after the $50 coupon link at MF)

Coil tap the buckers and you come pretty close to that twang.

• Members
Originally posted by thirdstone

I played a Fender tele for 799.00. Great guitar. Good value. Buy it!

I built an awesome one for 600.00 Solid mahogany body. Lindy Fralin pickups, Locking tuners and a quilt maple neck. French polish finished and a roller nut.

tele.jpg

The thing about telecasters is that they are so easy to assemble from parts that you can always build an awesome one cheaper than ones on the market. Not so with some other guitar designs.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

You can get a Hwy 1 (using coupon link) for $529 w/Apple Ipod Shuffle (which you could sell for probably $75).

American Series for $829 using coupon link (also w/Ipod Shuffle) or $999 for American Deluxe (same deal).

yeah, but that same American Series is goin for 630 out the door tomorrow... I'm doin everything I can to get one

Archived