Any one do their own nut job?

GAS Man

• Members

I'm afraid to touch my own nuts,

but that's largely because I don't have the right tools for the job.

I've got one LP Junior Special where at least some of the nut slots are too high.

My understanding is that a proper job needs a specialed set of files.

Any other ways to approach this task?

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I'm afraid to touch my own nuts,

but that's largely because I don't have the right tools for the job.

I've got one LP Junior Special where at least some of the nut slots are too high.

My understanding is that a proper job needs a specialed set of files.

Any other ways to approach this task?

LOL. To answer your question, i don't touch my own nuts, i let other people do that for me.

• Members

I am serious about this!!!!

Use your string as a file. Cut a small piece of string and rub it back in forth in the slot. It will file it down.

I have files and have made several nuts. Be careful if you take the nut off and file down the back. It is really hard to know where to stop.

Use your string and you will be in good shape. For the high E and B, use a coping saw blade or a Exacto knife saw blade (yes they have little saw blades that fit an Exacto knife). Both are cheap (less than $10) and work very well. Go slow and take your time and it is easy. Be patient.

• Members

Originally posted by straightblues

I am serious about this!!!!

Use your string as a file. Cut a small piece of string and rub it back in forth in the slot. It will file it down.

I have files and have made several nuts. Be careful if you take the nut off and file down the back. It is really hard to know where to stop.

Use your string and you will be in good shape. For the high E and B, use a coping saw blade or a Exacto knife saw blade (yes they have little saw blades that fit an Exacto knife). Both are cheap (less than $10) and work very well. Go slow and take your time and it is easy. Be patient.

I thought I was the only guy who did that!...I use RUSTY strings of the exact guage I plan on stringing the guitar with. Wind them around a hacksaw and saw into the nut. Makes a perfectly round bottom stot that won't catch. It's kind of slower than a file a bit but way more accurate.

Archived