Will a mic preamp save me?

• Members

Hello, this is my first post in this forum...

Lately I've been having trouble getting the right guitar sounds recorded. I'm a DIY kind of guy. I record and master everything on a Korg D1600 16 track 'portastudio.' My style is metal/hardcore. All my clean and crunch sounds are no problem with my POD Pro XT. Hi-gain tones are a different story. The amp is a Mesa Rectoverb series 2 combo (1x12"). I mic it with an SM57 and no matter how much I experiment with mic placement, volume, etc., I can't seem to translate my ideal tone to tape.

I've read that mic preamps are an integral part of the studio but I've never had any experience with them. Some people have told me that although the mic preamps on the Korg aren't the best, they're usually good enough for instrument mics.

Would a mic pre be a good investment? If so, please recommend some preamps I should check out. I'm willing to spend up to $600 if it will make a big difference.

thanks

• Members

Probably not. What don't you like about the tone you are getting? A nicer preamp or nicer converters probably can make a noticable improvement in what you are recording .. but if you don't like the sound of what you are recording, it can't really change that.

Get a great mic preamp anyway - but maybe hold out for the $1000 mark. Jump to the top shelf, instead of wasting time and money getting they incrementally.

What tone are you trying to recreate? Chances are, it was probably mic'd with more than one mic.

• Members

Try turning down the gain before you go out and buy more gear. Most people use too much gain on single guitar tracks (especially high gain tracks). Your tone and texture will improve dramatically by turning down the preamp and cranking up the power amo.

• Members

you're right, i've just been using one 57 on the amp. i'm guessing i should try to use more than one, positioned differently? i've tried combining it with my AKG C3000b but it sounded like {censored}.

the guitar just doesn't have as much definition as i'd like. i don't scoop mids and the gain usually isn't cranked, i go for that huge sound by laying down 4 rhythm guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by The Funk

Try turning down the gain before you go out and buy more gear.

no doubt. the only thing with that is that my zakk wylde pinch harmonics don't jump out as much when i turn down the gain. i guess i just need to practice more:o

• Members

Definition shouldn't be a problem when a 57 is used. People mix in condensers to add top & bottom or ribbons to warm & smooth out the sound, but the 57 is pretty much the king for midrange definition. Could you be more specific about what's missing from the tone?

Also, have you tried Line 6's Metal Shop Model Pack for your Pod?

Archived