Humbucker suggestions for 1 pickup guitar

fuzzylogic220

• Members

Personally, I would go with something along the line of a vintage style PAF, as you are suggesting.

After all, that's what EVH's set up was. (single low output PAF, probably a Gibson, pickup)

That should give you the best versatility since you only have the one pup to begin with.

So you could do a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover or a '59.

DiMarzio has a few vintage style including the Virtual Vintage.

But although something like the JB is a favorite among many, others don't like its brightness. So I would vere away from modern PAF versions and stick more with vintage style PAF tones.

You can always add more gain with a pedal or high gain amp, but it's hard to get a sweet vintage tone if it doesn't start with the pup.

• Members

Well i play mostly Satch style instrumental stuff., so basically the characteristics i would like the pickup to have are. Thick sound, both clean and distortion, good harmonic responce and a bunch of sustain.

which is probably what everyone wants. :) i dont think ive ever heard anyone say i want something thin, no harmonic responce, and low sustain. :)

Ive only changed the pups in one of my guitars ever. So i dont really have much expirence in in this is good that is bad sorta thing. I put a fred and an air norton in my jem. the fred i thought was ok. but the i just loved the air norton

Archived