Isn't it Ironic??

• Members

It's funny that during this hot trend of Musical instruments and gear being "Vintage", "Warm", "Tube", etc, Lot's of stuff on the radio sounds like chilly, squashed, garbage.

I rarely listen to top 40 radio but today I decided to listen to a local station in the car. The music is so "Processed" that I can barely discern what notes are being played in a bassline, what chords are being played on the guitar, or what notes the keyboardist is playing. It all sounds like a huge messy pinned VU meter.

Later, I turned to a classic rock station. I could hear every single note and nuance played by bassists, guitarists, and keys.

What gives? When is this squashing contest gonna stop?

• Members

You should note that all music played on terrestrial radio has to be squashed to some extent to work in that medium. Satellite I believe is a different story. Could prejudice of top 40 be one of the reasons you're hearing it like this. Now it's not my music of choice either but EVERYTHING on the radio sounds super compressed to me.

Radio quality always sucks.

• Members

Originally posted by bjorked

Could prejudice of top 40 be one of the reasons you're hearing it like this. Now it's not my music of choice either but EVERYTHING on the radio sounds super compressed to me.

Radio quality always sucks.

No, It's not that at all. I have no prejudice for top 40. In my area top 40 plays everything new from metal to bubblegum.

Let me explain this in another way. A brand new Rush Or Aerosmith song will have the same undesirable qualities I'm talking about verses tunes from those artists recorded in the 80's.

Archived