"Top Shelf" mic cable...

• Members

Hi All. I have lots of Monster cable, but I need more. Past posts have established Monster as ad-hyped and overpriced. I am quite handy with a soldering gun and I am confident I can make make mic cables that equal or surpass Monster Studio Pro 1000 brand cables (their Cadillac). My desire is to buy a spool of SUPER high quality cable and make my own mic cables. My question is... What are the "top shelf" mic cables from Belden or Mogami (name or product #). I want the best...not what is good or great. Maybe someone could offer tips on short run vs. long run for the studio. All input is welcome but flames are discouraged. Thanks and Peace to all . . . Dogbreath

• Members

I've listened head-to-head between Monster SP1000, Monster P500, & Mogami cables. The P500 & the Mogami sounded identical to my ears, or at least not different enough to be worth ever considering. The SP1000 had noticeably more highs than either of the others.

That said, my personal opinion is that this extension is only going to benefit you on a low output signal like a microphone or a guitar. I use Monster Studiolink cables for most everything else, they sound the same as P500's/Mogami but are less robust & thus cheaper than those two. I used to make my own cables but you have to buy spools in order for it to actually save you any money (if that's the point of this discussion).

• Members

Monster is the best marketing plan in decades. IMHO complete junk. I've fixed more monster cables than I care to think about, they have the worst quality control, and there's absolutely nothing special about the cable itself.

Mogami, Canare, Belden, are all excellent cabling.

• Members

Where...Belden, Mogami and Canare make so many different "grades" of cables. Do you happen to know which product #'s are their flagships as far as sound AND durability? I have searched each company's products and they all make so many different "grades". Each has their strong points...some are more flexible or durable while other have better shielding and/or sound quality. I guess what I want most is the best sound quality cable...or is this subject to listener preference or are there specs which verify a superior sound quality? What should I take into consideration?...cost is not a high consideration. Given what has been said about Monster, I can hear a difference between SP 1000 and a Banjo Mart special cable. And while we're discussing homegrown cables, are Neutrik connectors considered best overall?

• Members

After using a bunch of different 'boutique' cables, and making plans to build mine with Belden wire, I just bought a bunch of Horizon's Star Quad cables; it sounded just fine, they're a lot more reliable than my soldering would be, and The Star Quad holds up to the abuse on a stage. So it should be fine in the studio.

Archived