Epiphone '58 Korina Best Guitar Made Ever!

GAS Man

• Members

Okay, I'm finally going to post my '58 Korina Explorer Review. (2 weeks of scopin it)

Ignore the title, that was just to get your motors started.

It's neck heavey. :(

But I also ordered this fancy DiMarzio Tweed and Leather strap from Music 123 to go with its vintage vibe, and that strap stops most of the neck droop since its more tactile. And of course, having your hand on the neck doesn't hurt either.:D

The action out of the box is decent and I'm sure a good setup would raise that to great.. The bridge is less than top quality Gibson stuff with one of those annoying wire spacers between the front bridge plate and the intonation screw heads. ( I have the same set up on a Yamaha SG and the wire likes to pop out and then it's impossible to keep it in there. Maybe tiny washers should replace it.)

I really like the way this guitar looks, it's definitely a pretty guitar in a chunky sort of vintage way, with yellow stained Korina veneer and all gold H/W. I'm contemplating changing the black pup rings to cream as well as the w/b/w pg to c/b/c. That would up the vintage look another 3 on the scale. But it would have been nice if they had kept the poly finish a bit thinner. A major guitar hobbyist would probably be tempted to strip it, but I'll go as is since that would probably be a negligible return for the cost or effort.

But the most important consideration is the tone. First the guitar IS very resonant. The reviews here in the "user reviews" attest to that, and I agreed with that right off the bat. My first riff I ran through it was Johnny Be Good, and I thought, "Shazam, this thing sounds a bit like a semi-hollow" (I also own a gibby 335).

The tone is not violin like, so Joe Satriani will not be playing it, but I think Yo Yo Ma, or actually a viola player might gravitate to this tone. It's definitely a deeper tone.

My lastest guitar piece I'm playing with is Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" and this guitar is a decent choice for those tones.

The jury is still out on the question of whether or not I'll stay with the stock gold pickups. They are an alnico pickup and they are definitely in the right ball park. So my only question is whether or not an upgrade to something like a 57 neck and a 57 plus bridge (or burstbuckers 1 & 2) would add some desirable overtones. But right now, I'm pleased with the mix of depth and vintage bright tones that these pups are producing.

I bought this guitar because my appetite was wetted for the explorer by buying a Gibby '76 RI for my son for his 21st BD (2 years ago). But although the Gibby was better balanced and seemed like a more solid build, its tone was definitely geared more towards the modern, and I was interested in the more resonant quality of the lighter Korina (limba) wood coupled with more vintage style PAFs. And not to forget the modest entrance fee of $445. (plus another $63 for a H/S care from M123)

So I know its not top grade Korina, and it does used a multi-piece body with a korina veneer to produce a solid piece appearance, but it still achieved what I was looking for which was a lighter bodied, more resonant, less hard sounding guitar with more vintage vibe.

Get the "76 Gibby for crunch and get this one if you want a taste of what they were thinking about back in '58 with this critter.

Just for you FYI. Be semi-kind now. :D

Since I don't have pics, here's a link:http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-i65232.music?t=1

Just click on the "additonal images" button to see the Korina version

• Members

good to hear from somebody who is experienced that this is a good guitar.

Ive been gas'n for a Gibby Korina explorer for a while myself, but I was jus gonna order the Epi instead. I got sidetracked cuz a friend of mine sold me his LP for a price I couldnt refuse, but I think I still want the EXPLORER!

I think this review seals it..

• Members

When I bring any new guitar in the home I go around with a big "?" hovering over my head for a while. Sometimes for years.

This Epi was no exception to that. It put a smile on my face with the first riff, but I wasn't totally yet sold.

But what I'm saying here is that it is still growing on me in a postive way.:)

Archived