I now know what the fuss is about (Tokai)

sitamoia50

• Members
Originally posted by sitamoia50

Cool link.weird though i was goin thru some posts and stuff on the tokai forum.Theres quite a bit of stuff on the Ls50 and then it seems to jump to the Ls60,kinda bypassing the Ls55(the one i have).Just makes me wonder how long they actually had the LS55's in production and where its place is in the Love Rock world.If anyone else is like me,I try to find out as much info on the guitar that i own and play at that particular time!

O.K.,just did some research and found out that in 95'(the yr mine was made) there was an ls50 (witch had a bolt-on neck) then it went ls55,ls60,ls70,etc...........the ls55 basically had the same specs as the ls60 and ls70 ,same pickups etc,except for the top that is a 3 piece,thats pretty much the only difference........anyways if i had known then what i know now,i have a schecter classic on the way,and if i had the Tokai before i bought that on the evilbay i probably would have another Tokai on the way instead..........oh well Live an' Learn!.......anybody want to buy a Schecter classic?...LOL!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by feintguitarist

.. What are some good places to get some MIJ tokais?

I dont know where to actually order them,I jus got mine on ebay from one of those Japanese sellers.Actually if anyone knows....... where can you actually get the best deal buying from Japan? (not on ebay).........I'm very new to Tokai's,this is actually the first one ive ever seen never mind played.I was just going with all the great stuff ive read about on these forums.I rarely buy into hype,but in this case the hype is well deserved!........In all honesty this guitar plays better than any of the dozen or so Gibson's i played over the weekend....and it got that full-bodied rich,creamy (sounds like baking a cake!) classic Les Paul sound!.....which is all i wanted without having to re-mortgage the house for an overpriced Les Paul...........

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

I got a Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer. I'm usually turned off on Epiphones, figuring that although you can upgrade the pups, you're still stuck with inferior tone wood and a silly looking headstock that belongs on a traditional jazz box. But since this Epi had the same headstock design as the gibby, I thought I'd give it a try.

:)

Know what?

I found the same thing with the Epi Explorers.

I don't care for the korean Epi LPs or Sgs.

But every Explorer I've tried has played and sounded great.

Only thing wrong with them is ... not my style.

I'm a short guy and x, z, and y bodied guitars look awkward on me.

So I stick to LP and superstrat bodies.

Kent

• Members

Sitamoia50,

Don't worry about the 3 piece top.

It may not look as fancy as a 2 piece book match.

But, it's function is what counts.

That is for the maple carved top to bring back the highs and clarity the mahogany can lose.

My Diodati 58 is 3 piece top.

diodati580ke.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by kherman

Sitamoia50,

Don't worry about the 3 piece top.

It may not look as fancy as a 2 piece book match.

But, it's function is what counts.

That is for the maple carved top to bring back the highs and clarity the mahogany can lose.

My Diodati 58 is 3 piece top.

diodati580ke.jpg

Just out of curiosity,are both of your Diodati's 3 piece tops or just the red one?

• Members

The Vintage Tribute series (LPs) are MIJ.

My Diodati 59Q is a plain maple top with quilt veneer.

Common Japan practice. Like aTokai LS85Q.

Most likely the plain maple is three piece.

Diodati59Q2.jpg

The Diodati would fall some were around a Tokai LS100 or 120.

It has a few upgrades over a Tokai ls85Q.

Honduran instead of african mahogany.

Tusq nut instead of plastic. Though I've heard some ls85 have bone.

Acrylic lacquer instead of Poly.

Gotoh sealed tuners instead of Gotoh Kluson clones.

The headstock is more PRSish. Provides a straighter string pull

than a Gibson style headstock.

The 59Q has a really dark almost black rosewood fretboard.

Not dyed.

the 58 is typical rosewood brown.

On both the inlay work is tight. No filler around edges.

Both are around 9lbs.

Both feature the medium neck tenon.

Extends all the way to the pickup cavity. Just doesn't have the little tongue extending into the bottom of the cavity like a Historic.

I believe there were a PRS style and 7 string Diodati that were MIK. I think there's a PRS style on Ebay right now.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diodati-Doublecut-Baker-Clone_W0QQitemZ7351090867QQcategoryZ33045QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kent

Archived