Switching question.

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

Ok, I know crap all about how switches work 'n' whatnot, so I've gotta ask if this is possible :o

3-way (strat-style) switch + push-pull for the tone pot. The 3-way selects bridge hb, neck hb, or in the middle position, both. The push-pull coil splits both humbuckers. In the middle position with the pickups split, it's hum-cancelling.

Possible? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior

Well, I can't tell what the hell's going on in that pic there, but I assume you mean to say, "Yes... yes it is possible". Yesno?

Thanks for the help.
:)

I think his answer is a resounding yes. What's going on in that picture is a DPDT switch on the neck tone pot of the Les Paul. You could do that, or if you want to be able to split each pickup separately, you could have two SPDT's on different pots.

• Members
Originally posted by keNz

I think his answer is a resounding yes. What's going on in that picture is a DPDT switch on the neck tone pot of the Les Paul. You could do that, or if you want to be able to split each pickup separately, you could have two SPDT's on different pots.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Just to further confirm (sorry :o), the middle position when both pickups are split is hum-cancelling, right? :o:confused:

• Members

Thanks for the confirmation.

Just to further confirm (sorry
:o
), the middle position when both pickups are split is hum-cancelling, right?
:o:confused:

well, it depends on which coils you keep when you split the pickups. Check the magnetic polarities of each coil and make sure which wire belongs to which coil. If you want it hum cancelling when split, you must keep coils that have opposing magnetic polarities, just like the 2 coils of a HB, basically. You must have one north and one south.

• Members
Originally posted by brikus

well, it depends on which coils you keep when you split the pickups. Check the magnetic polarities of each coil and make sure which wire belongs to which coil. If you want it hum cancelling when split, you must keep coils that have opposing magnetic polarities, just like the 2 coils of a HB, basically. You must have one north and one south.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Ahh the Electric Guitar forum.... the helpful forum. :D:o

• Members

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ahh the Electric Guitar forum.... the helpful forum.
:D:o

or if you don't have a compass handy to check the polarities of your magnets, at least know which wire belongs to which coil, and do the mod. If it's not hum-canceling when split, just change the coil you keep for ONE pickup.

• Members
Originally posted by brikus

or if you don't have a compass handy to check the polarities of your magnets, at least know which wire belongs to which coil, and do the mod. If it's not hum-canceling when split, just change the coil you keep for ONE pickup.

Well actually, I'm not planning to do this myself. I don't know {censored} about all this. Basically I just wanted to make sure that it was possible. I'll take in the guitar either tomorrow or on Saturday morning to have a bunch of crap done to it. The knife edges on my RG2127X are {censored}ed, so I'm having the inserts replaced... I figure I might as well have the pickups changed and the switching changed more to my needs while it's in there. :)

One of these days I should learn how to read them there diagrams and solder {censored}. :o:(

Archived