Where in the US of A can I find...

G-tarist

• Members

I'm going to be travelling to the United States soon (from Australia), and I'm hopin to get me a guitar somewhere in the course of the trip. The reason is because there's aren't enough instruments to choose from/play in guitar stores down here that enables you to find a guitar that really speaks to you.

Anyways what I'd like to know is: Where in America is the largest inventory of guitars for sale (favouring Gibson and Fender dealers)?

I saw on a travel show on TV that there was a HUGE place in LA called something like Guitar Planet or Guitar World...does anybody know of this?

• Members

The better bet is to find out the best places in every city you'll be in and also which brands you are interested in. I am sure you will get many great tips in here if you mention the cities you will visit.

My big problem with Guitar Center (they are all over BTW not just LA) is that it is a fricken madhouse. It's tough to know if that guitar is speaking to you when 10 other guys are noodling all over the store. I have had good experiences only when I visit Guitar Center during working hours on a weekday.

• Members

The original Guitar Center on Sunset Bl. in L.A. is pretty nice. They have a good selection and I have not had any bad experiences with the sales staff. They also have a large vintage shop in the back of the store. There are several other guitar shops in the neighborhood like Voltage (my favorite), and Sam Ash.

A few miles away in the Valley is one of the best for vintage guitars...Norms Rare Guitars.

NYC is great with Mandolin Brothers and all the shops in lower Manhattan.

Then there's Elderly in Lansing, Michigan and Gruhn in Nashville. Come to think of it, Nashville wouldn't be a bad place to look for some guitars.

There's a great shop in Louisville, Colorado called Wildwood guitars, and if you are looking for acoustics, Woodsongs in Boulder is just a few miles away.

Music Machine is cool...it's in Eastern Washington and they have a great selection. (Kennewick).

Dave's is in LaCrosse, Wisconsin--great shop, also Rumble Seat in Ithaca, NY.

You could spend months traveling from place to place looking for guitars.

• Members

I think the biggist store is in Las Vegas.

www.edromanguitars.com

My favorite store is www.davesguitar.com

It is a great place to go. He's got a bunch of Gibson, Fender, PRS, ect.

You should also try to find a place that has Tom Anderson Guitars. Don't buy anything before trying out a few Andersons. I wish I new wich store would have the most Andersons. Maybe the Mesa Boogie Hollywood Store would be a good place to go.

www.mesaboogie.com
www.andersonguitars.com

Other sites...

www.willcuttguitars.com
www.eddiesguitars.com
www.williesguitars.com
www.gpguitars.com
www.magdonmusic.com

Archived