One more Strat question please

chiro972

• Members

My new strat doesn't want to hold on to the output cable at all. If I push the cable in, it wants to slide right back out. Is this just a simple adjustment I can make with the output jack?

I know when using a strap, I can run the cable up over the strap button to take the weight off, but when sitting, the cable keeps wanting to fall out.

Any tips?

• Members

I have never heard that! I nearly have to grip my cable to get it out, it doesn't want to budge.

Sorry, but are you sure you have an appropriate cable? It should be a 1/4" not anything smaller.

Not to sound like an @ss, thats just the only thing I can think of. Whether your jack is loose or not it still shouldn't fall out.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

Take out the 2 screws holding the jackplate on. There's a long metal tab with a short angle on the end. Bend the long tab in towards the center slightly so it grips the plug tighter.

My sentiments exactly...also you might try removing the jack plate and observe how the plug and jack are intended to fit together internally...then you might plainly see what's wrong.

Sometimes those jack cavities are too tight, or jackplates mounted such that the wall of the cavity is the culprit. Then you have a couple options. First try loosening the jack nut and spin the jack 180-degrees to rotate the tab away from the cavity wall. If that doesn't work you'll either need to realign and remount the jack plate or take a gouge or chisel or dremel tool to the inside wall of the cavity to create some space. If it's a new guitar and you are not so inclined, then take it back to the shop for them to fix it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. That's kinda what I figured I'd have to do. I bought it from Musicians Friend, so no local service. this sounds like something I can handle.

And yes, I am using the right cord, it fits fine in all my other guitars, just not this one. It just feels like it never gets caught in that little bend inside that is supposed to hold it in place.

• Members

OK, I opened it up and found that the very end of the cable tip hits the wood on the inside and can't go in far enough for the clip to grab the groove in the cable.

As much as I hate to take a dremel to my new guitar, it should be easy to take out just a bit of wood in there to make it clear.

Archived