Talk me out of buying this Squier Tele Custom II !

GAS Man

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

DIMARZIO?

Maybe you got a turd. I find mine far superior to the 51's.

I don't know. As I mentioned, it might be better with new strings and proper pup alignment. But so far I've found the '51 to be more evenly balanced and more resonant. I've just got to back off the treble on the amp for the '51. My comments so far on the STCII are based on "right out of the box".

I was hitting some hammer-ons on the high E that this guitar was missing where the '51 was there. But again, it could be set-up.

I'm glad to hear you like yours, so I'll keep checking it out with the encouragment.

• Members

I woke up this morning telling my wife I was going to send it back. Then I sat down and played it and I was enjoying it again. I'm way too confused to make an up or down vote.

With the 509T source code you get the guitar plus a bag. It's a pretty good deal. You could always send it back. (P.S. You have to ask for the bag since the flyer doesn't describe it, but the online site does at the regular price).

But I'm not really looking toward modding anohter guitar, so I was hoping I'd be fairly happy with it as is.

You have to also think that this might be a couple hundred you could put toward a better P-90 guitar. But I also want to emphasize that this guitar is brighter than my Gibson LP juniors, so I don't think it's a typical P-90 tone IMHO.

I'll go play it next to my '51 again and come back with some more thoughts.

Do you have any specifics I haven't covered here? (Batotman seems to love his.)

• Members

P.S. Also note that up above I mention that I haven't set up the pup height yet (or even really measured the clearance yet), but to do so, I have to remove all the plastic that covers the pg, pup screws and the pups themselves. It looks like the pole pieces are adjustable, so there should be some room to dial in the tone.

Archived