Ever seen a real abalone shell?

dougbeens

• Members

You used to be able to find those all over the beaches in California. The meat is good eating also (after you pound the crap out of it with a hammer and bread it and fry it). Unfortunately they were way overharvested and are now much more rare.

• Members

Used to be able to harvest 'em with a crowbar right off the rocks at So. Cal tide pools--Had to make sure they were at least eight inches long or you were breaking the law. The fish markets at the pier were selling the meat for something like $6 a pound in the days when hamburger was about 29 cents. The meat is basically a huge muscle, which is why you've got to beat the daylights out of 'em, but when you fry 'em up golden brown....nirvana.

• Members

probably just smash em, and then flatten the peices into a thin layer and cut em. But when i was reading this i thought id look up what the actual animal looks like, gross looking thing if i ever saw one. Second only to the goeduck, that {censored} is scary.

• Members

Originally posted by superpoo

how do they turn that into binding/inlays?

First you cut the shell into small square sections. then you cut the sections into thin layers about .050 thick.

then you cut the shapes you want to inlay then you rout the wood where you want the inlay to go.

Press,glue, sand, finish and presto! beautiful inlays!

Pearl inlay costs about 40+ dollars per ounce... abalone can cost a bit more. that sjust to buy the pearl/abalone.

Obviously the labor is why inlay work costs so much.

• Members

Originally posted by javaCat

probably just smash em, and then flatten the peices into a thin layer and cut em. But when i was reading this i thought id look up what the actual animal looks like, gross looking thing if i ever saw one. Second only to the goeduck, that {censored} is scary.

i saw those {censored}in geoduck things at this vietnamese market last night, scared the crap out of me. they look SO gross.

• Members

I`ve been to Tepanyaki restaurants in Japan where the chef prepares the food right in front of you, similar to BeniHana for the North Americans on the site. Last time I went, the chef put live abalonis on the hot steel plate, about one square meter in size I`d guess, and after they stopped trying to get off... they don`t move very quickly even when being cooked to death... he sliced them very thin and they were not too tough that way. I like them better than sea-pineapple. The Japanese eat a lot of food that tries to excape as you eat it. May be cruel but you can`t get any fresher. I`d like to add... I was a guest of my students at the restaurants and it`s just not polite to refuse food they offer you.

I thought I`d read abalone shell is usually cut under water to keep the dust down, which is a health hazard...or am I confusing that with something else used in guitar/jewelery making? I have some abalons shells somewhere around here, I got em from a sushi shop here.

Archived