Looking at some Gibsons...

jrm27

• Members

Hey everyone!-

I'm rather new here, so please excuse me if this subject has been brought up many times. But I'm lookign to get some Gibsons, and was wondering if anyone here had experience with them.

I am very interested in the faded series, both the LP doublecut with p-90's and the SG faded. Also, I'm looking at those vintage mahogany LP's (all mahognay, no maple cap). Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

-jrm-

www.theridemusic.com

www.myspace.com/theridemusic

• Members

thanks for poinitng me to the search page... I have already searched and haven't really seen too much on the vintage mahogany or the LP faded DC. I saw a thread or two on some opinions of the SG, so that was helpful. I was hoping to expand some discussion beyond the few threads that I saw that were pertinent. However, if you know of a good thread that I might have overlooked I would appreciate it if you would point it out.

• Members

those fadeds and the vintage mahogany paul are the cheapest USA Gibsons you can buy, and it shows. i've played a variety of faded models (never played the vintage mahogany) and i wasn't impressed. LP Studios feel like real Gibsons to me. the fadeds feel a little cheap. i can't believe that the same people make those as do the more expensive stuff. there's a definitely difference between the fadeds and Gibson's flagship models.

YMMV.

• Members

My Les Paul faded DC is an AWESOME guitar....possibly my favourite of the 3 Gibsons I own.(DC, LP standard, SG special)

The pickups Kick, and it's a really versatile guitar going from clean through blues and rock and even metal.

I think it's a better sounding guitar than the long term loan '71 LP custom with P90 and alnico thats living with me at the moment.

My only criticism is that the fret ends are a little sharp....hardly a deal breaker.

I love mine.....

DCP02086.jpg

• Members

the russ-
Thanks for the review of the faded LP. I appreciate the input. I've never been a big fan of the studios... just the look bugs me for some reason. I think its the gloss and no binding... If there's no binding, I'd just rather have it look like the faded series.. but that's just my taste! Good to know that they don't feel right to some.. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration

Metalhead-
Glad to hear good things about the DC. I've eally been jonesing for a p-90 guitar, and I really like the look. I can't find one to play in Denver, so i have to rely on other people's reviews. How noisy are the pickups?

• Members

In my opinion, not noisy enough for it to factor into the equation......certainly no more so than any of the other single coil guitars I've got.

The only thing I would be wary of is that Gibson quality control seems to be patchy....whatever you go for, If you can't play it first, try and get a decent return agreement.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

correct me if i'm wrong, but those are p100's on the faded. not the same pickup as a p90; they sound a bit different.

From the Gibson site.....P90's.

Les Paul Faded DC

Manufactured in: Nashville, TN

Download Datasheet

BODY

Body Species: Mahogany

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Profile: 1960 Slim taper

Peghead Pitch: 17

Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800

Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.900

Heel Length: 0.625

Neck Joint Location: 22

FINGERBOARD

Species: Rosewood

Scale Length: 243/4"

Total Length: 19.062

Number of Frets: 22

Nut Width: 111/16"

Width at 12th Fret: 2.062

Inlays: Pearloid dots

HARDWARE

Plating Finish: Chrome

Tailpiece: Stopbar

Bridge: Tune-o-matic

Knobs: Black Top Hat

Tuners: White Button

ELECTRONICS

Pickups: Dual vintage single coil P-90s

Controls: Two volume, two tone

CASE

Case Interior: Black Padded

Case Exterior: Black Gigbag

Case Silkscreen: White 'Gibson USA' logo

OTHER

Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046

641 Massman Drive

Nashville, TN 37210

1-800-4GIBSON

Gibson USA adds the well-played look of its popular 'worn' finishes to a legendary Les Paul design with the new Les Paul Faded - Double Cutaway.

Available Colors: Worn Cherry , Worn Yellow , Satin Ebony

Available in Worn Cherry and Worn Yellow finishes,

• Members

hmmm..... The gibson website says p-90's. hope that's the case.

I'll definitely get a good return agreement if it comes down to me buying without trying.

I realize that the finish is not at all durable.. how easy is it to scar up the guitar?

Anyone else have any experience they wouldn't mind sharing?

• Members

Originally posted by jrm27

hmmm..... The gibson website says p-90's. hope that's the case.

I'll definitely get a good return agreement if it comes down to me buying without trying.

I realize that the finish is not at all durable.. how easy is it to scar up the guitar?

Anyone else have any experience they wouldn't mind sharing?

You can't go wrong with the DC. I've got one and it's my favorite guitar. For some reason, not having any binding feels right on this guitar, whereas with my SG special it feels like it's missing something. The DC's have a great woody tone to them, and the P90's are topnotch. Noisy, but worth it for the sounds you can get out of them. They snarl with an attitude.

Archived