Do you feel wierd playing a SG Body Shape??

BSTEboy50

• Members

Do you feel wierd playing an SG Body Shape? Is it hard to get used to it? Just wanted your thoughts.

I played a couple at Guitar Center over the past few years and it felt different sitting down. The necked seemed further away and longer. I love the look of the SG and I"m wondering if I will get used to it over time. I mean its a light guitar with a flat front and back it can't be that difficult to get used to can it?

I have a Flying V and Explorer and love their feel, but the SG just seems off to me, maybe I have to play it standing up.

• Members

Nope, not at all. It is a lot lighter than my other guitars, and that was weird at first, esp. if you're used to explorers and V's because there's much less bulk over your right thigh.

The scale length should be same, so i don't know why the neck feels longer.

Here's my two:

P8280011.jpg

P8280010.jpg

• Members

I love the feel of the SG. It didn't take me long at all to adjust to the light body. I like how the neck is solid. It has some thickness to it but it's nice and round. The only thing that was a little odd was in the summer if it was really hot, I tended to sweat a bit and the back of the neck would get a bit slick or sticky. That was a pretty minor issue and I haven't had that problem except when it was in the upper 90's.

Here's mine

113439704.jpg

113439733.jpg

113439724.jpg

• Members

I really like that Emily The Strange SG. Reminds me slightly of Clapton's Fool SG from the Cream era. Wish someone would do a cheap replica of the Fool SG (ie not Ed Roman)

Just bought my first SG today and i know what you mean about the neck feeling longer. Im used to playing Les Pauls where the neck meets deeper into the body than the SG. This makes it feel shorter on the LP whereas it seems on the SG that the last fret joins the body (if that makes any sense at all :confused: )

Excellent upper fret access tho. Really digging the lightweight body and the brash sound. Been playing along to Disreali Gears and can nail the tone quite well so im very happy overall

• Members

Some of the Epiphones and the Gibson Faded SGs that I have picked up seem to really have neck dive, which I find annoying.

I don't have this problem with my Standard, maybe it is the thicker neck, but it balences really well. The substantial neck and smaller body feels pretty good to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Supernovaa

Just bought my first SG today and i know what you mean about the neck feeling longer. Im used to playing Les Pauls where the neck meets deeper into the body than the SG. This makes it feel shorter on the LP whereas it seems on the SG that the last fret joins the body (if that makes any sense at all
:confused:
)

Beat me to it, but I provided pictures. :p

• Members

It's pretty funny how different people like different things. I've always loved the feel of an SG, but I never cared for the look. An old friend of mine had one in the early 70's (a 60's vintage white Standard, would be worth a few bucks now) that was a beautiful feeling instrument. I've never played anything else that felt so right in my hands.

D

• Members

SGs rock. I love the feel of it playing standing up. Just seems to fit perfectly, and has all the access I'll ever need. Only drawback I notice is that it is neck heavy, so-to-speak, like others have mentioned. I compensate for that by wearing a leather strap for extra friction on my shoulder. No accidental slippage.

• Members

I have a hand built guitar cut from the pattern of a real SG. Mine is 1 1/2" thick so it's kindof a chunk. The upper part of it hit's my pickhand forearm so I put a contour on it like a strat. A real one isn't that much of an issue because it's thinner. Other than that it's fine. Personally I found the Firebird to be the most comfortable guitar ever. But thats mine, I put heavy contours on it and she fits like a glove.

• Members

Wow, Thanks for your replies guys.

Yeah I'm sure the reason why the neck feels "longer" is just where the body meets the neck. Its pretty obvious to see this with the pics that were posted above.

I'm thinking of picking up an Epiphone SG Custom (G-400) in white. I've heard the newer ones are of better build quality, esp with the grover tuner and newly designed pickups. I don't really like epiphones, but I figured if I'm gonna get an SG it might as well be an epiphone b/c its my first SG and I"m not sure if I'll truly love the body shape.

Maybe I should just save a couple hundred more for a Gibson standard in cherry or naturalburst....hmmmm.

• Members

Originally posted by BSTEboy50

Wow, Thanks for your replies guys.

Yeah I'm sure the reason why the neck feels "longer" is just where the body meets the neck. Its pretty obvious to see this with the pics that were posted above.

I'm thinking of picking up an Epiphone SG Custom (G-400) in white. I've heard the newer ones are of better build quality, esp with the grover tuner and newly designed pickups. I don't really like epiphones, but I figured if I'm gonna get an SG it might as well be an epiphone b/c its my first SG and I"m not sure if I'll truly love the body shape.

Maybe I should just save a couple hundred more for a Gibson standard in cherry or naturalburst....hmmmm.

There's nothing wrong with the Epi's, my Emily up top is the bottom of the barrel one (G-310), and it's every bit as good as good as the Gibson, although I'd rather have a glued in neck.

I do like the G-400 custom, i very nearly bought one, but i find a BC Rich NJ Virgin nearby very cheap so i got that instead. The Iommi model keeps calling my name too :D

• Members

Originally posted by BSTEboy50

Do you feel wierd playing an SG Body Shape? Is it hard to get used to it? Just wanted your thoughts.

I just sold mine yesterday for this very reason. I've always loved the look and sound of SG's and I still do. This was my first real guitar as well. But, I really really tried to get into it, but it just didn't happen. I couldn't get into the way it played. It just felt too tiny and the neck was just to narrow for my tatses. It wasn't a guitar that I could trully lay-into while playing.

So Bye Bye 1974 SG Standard w/Ebony fretboard ...

may you find a happy home elsewhere.

SG.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by Gravity

I just sold mine yesterday for this very reason. I've always loved the look and sound of SG's and I still do. This was my first
real
guitar as well. But, I really really tried to get into it, but it just didn't happen. I couldn't get into the way it played. It just felt too tiny and the neck was just to narrow for my tatses. It wasn't a guitar that I could trully lay-into while playing.

So Bye Bye 1974 SG Standard w/Ebony fretboard ...

may you find a happy home elsewhere.

SG.JPG

Bugger me that's a nice one!! Ebony baord as well! It's a shame you didn't get on with it :(

• Members

When I play SG's, it feels like the bridge is too far left (left when you are playing it). Like..where I pick on an SG, would normally be across the fretboard on a normal guitar. Makes me crazy at first but I could probably get used to it.

Also, neckheavy guitars drive me crazy when I play sitting down since I rest my guitar on my right leg.

Archived