Quickie on this mic lineup

• Members

hey, we just recorded th basic trax for our 2nd CD this past weekend.

I can't change anything about the tracking now, but I was curious about this mic selection and if there's any traits I should know when mixing with these makes/models (other than making it sound good of course).

kick- D112

snare top -beta57

snare bottom- Audio Technica 37R

Overheads- 2x SM-81's

Room - 2x Shure KSM 32's

Toms- Senn421's

Hi-hat (?) yeah I know but it sounds cool: Neumann KM 184

Bass cab- AT 4033

Bass DI: Countryman

thanks

• Members

Skip the bass cab mic, and buy or build yourself a reamp box. I haven't used a bass mic when tracking for a few years now, but the majority of my mix tracks are most or all amp/cabinet, thanks to a reamp box. Why waste time trying to dial in the perfect bass amp sound during tracking, when you can do it during mixing, with ALL the rest of the tracks?

I like to use either stereo overheads and mono room, or vice versa, never liked the imaging I got from stereo both. Given the choice I usually go stereo OH (Shure VP-88) and mono room (NTK). Often, these are the only mics I need when I mix.

Just my style, YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

OK thanks

Since the tracking's already done I was just looking for some idea of the character of these mics.
:)

I'm not trying to be a dick, but since you just recorded with these mics, didn't you listen to hear their sound quality (aka character)?

• Members

Since you've already recorded your tracks, it presumably supports your song to the best of your ability. How does it sound in the mix? We could tell you our opinions on the traits that these mics might have given our particiular recording setups and rooms, but I'm not sure that would help your mix any now that you've recorded them. Just basically try and get the sound to support the song in the best way possible through EQ, compression, nothing, whatever it takes.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I'm not trying to be a dick, but since you just recorded with these mics, didn't you listen to hear their sound quality (aka character)?

Ha !

good point

I knew nothing and contributed nothing to the mic selection.. we did this at a recording studio. Listening to the results I'm thrilled.

But I wouldn't have known to question the guy. I was just curious maybe if there was any folklore associated with these mic's on these parts of the drumkit, room, etc..

I think I should have searched by mic brand/model and found some stuff instead of starting a thread:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Since you've already recorded your tracks, it presumably supports your song to the best of your ability. How does it sound in the mix? We could tell you our opinions on the traits that these mics might have given our particiular recording setups and rooms, but I'm not sure that would help your mix any now that you've recorded them. Just basically try and get the sound to support the song in the best way possible through EQ, compression, nothing, whatever it takes.

Yes I see now my question was a bit odd...

but the kit sounds great to me !

But my only other experience was mixing our first CD with drums recorded in our rehearsal space. So in comparison this real studio recording sounds magnificent.

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

Yes I see now my question was a bit odd...

but the kit sounds great to me !

Excellent!! That's the most important thing!! If someone is getting great sounds, it doesn't really matter what the mics are. All those mics are good enough to get a good sound from a drum kit given the usual parameters (good drummer, kit, room, mic preamps, yadda yadda).

And for example, I'm not a real huge fan of the D112 (see what a lousy salesman I am? I'm selling one of those!! :D ), but I've heard people get great sounding kick drums from them.

Archived