Epiphone Les Paul and Original LesPaul

amt7565

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

If you dont speak from experience what are you speaking from? Probably hear say just like most people, so do everyone a favor a shut up.

i think you should do yourself a favour and read his post again, see he says he DOES speak from experience now just be quiet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Play a few Gibsons, a few Epis. Who knows, you might find an Epi you like.

When my epi was stock, it was very close to my Gibson. Now it has different pick ups in, it sounds a bit more distant to the les paul sound, but has a sound I really like.

You can get a killer Epi sometimes, and a dog of a Gibson. You just have to play a bunch and find the one thats right for you.

• Members

Buying new here in the UK, a good Gibson LP is about 150% the guitar that the Epiphone is, for around 500% of the price. The law of diminishing returns writ large. Whether that extra 50% is worth an extra 400% will come down entirely to the player.

Personally, I'd be willing to bet that an awful lot more people would be buying the Epiphone if it sported the "correct" headstock and the Gibson name. We can argue all day over the relative differences, but those two factors carry a huge amount of weight for many folks. I guess that's the power of good marketing.

I do own an Epiphone LP Std, 1998 manufacture, which is an excellent guitar in its own right, and I enjoy immensely. I doubt that I will ever buy a Gibson, failing a deal that's too good to pass up falling in my lap. They're great guitars (as long as - as with anything else - you're careful about selecting the rightone - every manufacturer slips some QC booboos out without noticing), but I do not believe I could ever justify to myself what they cost, especially given that I believe both Tokai and Epiphone produce Japanese-built guitars of a standard equivalent in quality to the Gibson (I don't care about the right name / headstock shape / nitro) for around 60% of the price. My future "Les Pauls" will mostl ikely be from Tokai, partly for the reason already mentioned, but also because they will do any guitar in any colour left handed to no extra charge.

Gibson make a great guitar..... they're just overpriced to the point where i don't consider them worth it. YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by 's mel gibson

I think it's because all of those guys are fully grown men. And TALL! Zakk has been referred to as a "Lumberjack" kind of guy and Page, well, he's kind of TALL too. I'm not sure of Slash's size but, I don't think he's a runt.

Jimmy Page is apparently 5'11". So we're not talking Chris Squire tall.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

If you don't get the Gibby, you're still going to have the feeling that you'll need to buy one someday, just to know what it's all about. Might as well grab one now, and get on with it.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by amt7565

Hi-

I am looking into the possibility of getting a Les Paul. I just want to have the experience of playing one to see why this guitar is so legendary.

Anyways-

Is there a difference between the Epiphone models and the original models? If so what are they?

Thanks in advance!

As one who has owned several examples of both, this is my standard answer:

A Gibson LP is definitely a nicer guitar than an Epiphone of comparable model. An Epiphone is usually a nicer guitar than an Gibson of comparable price. The better Epiphones are generally nicer than most of the rest of the LP copies. I've not owned an Elitest, but I hear they are nice, I HAVE owned the LP Custom by Epiphone and they are very nice for the money. If you are experienced with nice guitars, you should find the Epiphone to be nice, but you'll notice the difference with a Gibson. If you are a newer player, the Epiphone LP Custom is a great guitar and will probably seem as nice as a Gibson LP Standard. If this is to be your last guitar, save your money and get a Gibson. If not, play the Epiphone until you have learned what you can from it, and then move up to the GIbson. You'll appreciate it then.

Good Luck!

• Members

Depends on how good your "ears" are. Let's relate it to something else. If you are the type, and God bless you I wish I was, who feels that a $1000 stereo sounds just as good as a $50000 one, then get the Epiphone (though an Agile feels and sounds more like a real Les Paul).

If you're happy with the way your Crate-type amp sounds, get the Epiphone. If you plan on playing through a vintage Fender or Marshall, or a high end boutique amp then you better pony up for the Gibson or you're going to be disappointed. Even if you play with lots of distortion, the Gibson will always sound thicker and meaner. Epiphones always sound thinner than the Gibsons -even to the most casual of listeners. Good luck!!

• Members

Originally posted by KM1959

Depends on how good your "ears" are. Let's relate it to something else. If you are the type, and God bless you I wish I was, who feels that a $1000 stereo sounds just as good as a $50000 one, then get the Epiphone (though an Agile feels and sounds more like a real Les Paul).

If you're happy with the way your Crate-type amp sounds, get the Epiphone. If you plan on playing through a vintage Fender or Marshall, or a high end boutique amp then you better pony up for the Gibson or you're going to be disappointed. Even if you play with lots of distortion, the Gibson will always sound thicker and meaner. Epiphones always sound thinner than the Gibsons -even to the most casual of listeners. Good luck!!

Im calling bull{censored}, BIG TIME

Im not even going to bother arguing, this post is just bull{censored}

• Members

Originally posted by amt7565

Hi-

I am looking into the possibility of getting a Les Paul. I just want to have the experience of playing one to see why this guitar is so legendary.

Anyways-

Is there a difference between the Epiphone models and the original models? If so what are they?

Thanks in advance!

If you've got the cash, go Gibson. You might want to check out a Les Paul DC faded with P90's. A lot of guitar there for the money and I like playing that more than my 77 Custom. Those P90's have a great snarl to them that my Custom doesn't, but if you're talking chunk, nothing outchunks an impossibly heavy Les Paul. And the standard Les Pauls are more traditional in feel and sound than the more radical Gibsons, so you might want to go that way instead. Lots of attraction in that Gibson name, and I like seeing it on my headstocks. The Custom I have is built like a pile of bricks cemented together. Indestructible.

• Members

A lot of people like the inexpensive Gibson LP Special with Humbuckers. It comes with 490 and 498 pups, has a flat mahogany body (so it is lighter in weight) and has the faded finish (so it is not as fancy and maybe you won't worry about it as much). Cost around 650 dollars new! Uses same pickups as the studio and custom I believe. I'm thinking about getting one myself if I can find a way to justify it:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

If you don't get the Gibby, you're still going to have the feeling that you'll need to buy one someday, just to know what it's all about. Might as well grab one now, and get on with it.

I used to feel like that, but I got over the importance of the "right" brand, and I just couldn't justify spending the money on one now. There was a time when I was gonig to save up for just one - i could certainly do it in a year or two - but I really don't believe they're worth it now, as compared to an Epi Elitist, or a MIJ Tokai at 60% the price. YMMV.

• Members

Originally posted by princeadr

A lot of people like the inexpensive Gibson LP Special with Humbuckers. It comes with 490 and 498 pups, has a flat mahogany body (so it is lighter in weight) and has the faded finish (so it is not as fancy and maybe you won't worry about it as much). Cost around 650 dollars new! Uses same pickups as the studio and custom I believe. I'm thinking about getting one myself if I can find a way to justify it:cool:

I am one of those people - except I picked up one of MF's LP Specials with the gloss black finish about 5 months ago. This guitar rocks! It doesn't have near the warm "woody" sound of my '59 Historic but if your looking for an "edgier" tone (ala EVH) you might want to check it out. The lighter weight and "sculpted" back make it very comfortable to play as well.

• Members

We continue to beat the dead horse...

My take on it is simple. Just starting out? Get an Epiphone (or Agile, whatever). A $300 guitar will get you very far these days. Once you decide you want to step up to a better quality pro instrument, save up for a Gibson.

I wouldn't recommend an expensive Gibson as a first guitar, unless you're rich and don't care about money. I have a Les Paul Standard, and don't take it to every show, because I don't want it stolen (it happens) or messed up. I've had beer spilled all over my gear before, thankfully it was the cheaper stuff.

I have 2 agiles, an Epi standard, a Gretsch Silverjet and a Les Paul standard (among other guitars). I'm not rich, I save up to buy my stuff. Depending on the gig, sometimes I'll take the agiles or the epi in case {censored} happens. They all play very well, and after some pickup changes, they all sound great.

My Gretsch and Gibson are better quality than the Agiles and Epi in *all* aspects. Doesn't matter that much to me, they're all fun to play and I'm not a gear snob. Play em and have fun, and keep an eye on your gear at all times!

• Members
Originally posted by walt0915

Funny, that's what I was thinking of you.
:rolleyes:

+1

A good amp is worth more than a good guitar ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

To paraphrase Mike Soldano (if you dont know who he is, dont even bother responding to me)

a 2000 dollar guitar through a 200 dollar amp is going to sound like crap, but a 200 dollar guitar through a 2000 dollar amp is still going to sound great.

No magic wood and pickups are any match for the amount of awsome tone that is known as a pre-amp, if you believe otherwise you are either older than dirt or a straight up rookie.

• Members

Originally posted by 's mel gibson

I think it's because all of those guys are fully grown men. And TALL! Zakk has been referred to as a "Lumberjack" kind of guy and Page, well, he's kind of TALL too. I'm not sure of Slash's size but, I don't think he's a runt.

I'm 5'11, 230, big upper body.

I can measure up to those guys.

BTW: I've seen Slash, he's a runt compared to me.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

+1

A good amp is worth more than a good guitar ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

To paraphrase Mike Soldano (if you dont know who he is, dont even bother responding to me)

a 2000 dollar guitar through a 200 dollar amp is going to sound like crap, but a 200 dollar guitar through a 2000 dollar amp is still going to sound great.

No magic wood and pickups are any match for the amount of awsome tone that is known as a pre-amp, if you believe otherwise you are either older than dirt or a straight up rookie.

Indeed, this is the truth!

• Members

I test drove about 8 Epi Les Pauls in the store before I found the "one". My one is a white custom with gold hardware that I switched to chrome afterwards cuz the gold was wearing off and looked like {censored}. The chrome added a neat touch, don't see many white customs with chrome hardware. m/

Archived