Pickup wire to short!!!! what to do?? HELP!!

fuzzylogic220

• Members

ok here is my problem, i had this guy install a pickup for me in small electric travel guitar, i decided i want to get rid of the guitar and the pickup both, but sell them seperate, So i replace the newer pickup with the old one. Im looking at the new pickup and i notice that the guy cut the wire super short. He cut it the perfect length for the travel guitar but now that i want to sell them both it would be unuseable if someone wanted to put the humbucker in a normal size guitar. Can i get a new wire put in the pickup and would your average tech know how to do something like that? .....Or am i just up the creek??

The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker, if that helps at all.

• Members

A new lead can be soldered onto the pickup, but you will have to pay someone to do it. My understanding is it's not easy. For myself I would just extend what's there already. Then I'd put shrink tubing covering the entire lead to make it look cleaner for resale.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzylogic220

Can i get a new wire put in the pickup and would your average tech know how to do something like that? .....Or am i just up the creek??

The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker, if that helps at all.

No offense, but you may be really challenged in the area of electronics. If you could not figure out this simple problem, I think I'd leave it to a professional to fix it. But, on the other hand, that's what's great about this forum. You get lots of help. And it is a simple repair. The heat shrink tubing is a great idea.

• Members
Originally posted by PolyFmorf

Simply strip it back and solder on a wire using a lineman's splice. Cover with black electrical tape. That's how I've been adding on to wires for the last 35 years. It will never fail.

for a guy who doesn't know how to splice wires, you might want to explain or point him to an explaination of a lineman's splice ;)

see the how to solder section on this page:
http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm

Archived