Calling Tokai experts (or anybody familiar w,Tokai's)

sitamoia50

• Members

A few weeks ago i had a thread about a Tokai Love Rock auction I had won,and after the auction the person proceeded to add on an additional $40 to have ups package and insure it.I was pretty pissed at 1st, but after thinkin about it I realised I might just get lucky with this guitar.By lucky I mean it is a 1985 in supposed like new condition and he also never listed the model #.Looking closely at the pics I realised it was a 2 piece top, so at the very least I was lookin at an LS-60 and possibly higher.Anyways to get to the point I went with my gut instict, and decided $550 was a pretty damn good price for a vintage Tokai,and i also didnt even have to add on the usual $125 or so to ship it from Japan because the guitar was in the states.The guitar arrived last night and needless to say I'm pretty excited.Not only is it in excellent condition, It also has a nitro finish which tells me it is one of the higher models,but that is the problem i am having,trying to identify just what model this is,It's driving me nuts.I took out the pick-ups to see if there was any info in the pick-up cavities but couldn't find any such info there.My question is,does anybody know how i can find out just what model Love Rock this is.I will say one thing.I have a 1995 Ls-55 which i like a lot, and i read in on a lot of forums how special the early the 70's and early 80's models are,and i must say a truer word has never been spoken.The '95 Ls-55 i have while nice is not in the same league as this guitar.This is the real deal,I have owned my share of Gibson's and this is by far one of the nicest Les Paul's I have ever had the pleasure of owning.Talk about "vibe", this thing just sings!........and compared to the Gibson's ive recently been playing in various music stores,I would not trade this for a newer Les paul standard.This is just a superior instrument.Anyways if anybody could help me in identifying this model it would be much appreciated.

• Members

the tokai forum will set you straight- i am suprised ned has not been here yet to talk! I recently found out the sigma acoustics were tokai made- I wondered why I kept finding them better than the average impot acoustic. On the older loverocks they had the stamp at the last fret as to grade. I play some tokais as well as name brands, and one is not inheritly better than the other- but there are some tokais that are just killer- and compared with the guitars of the same era, the tokais might have a advantage in quality control. BUt tokai also made some lower line stuff that does not compare to the gibsons. Its all about what you like, and thats all that matters. I do have a tokai neck with the almost fender script logo that I put on vintage strats from time to time- and whatever body that neck is on people will comment that its the best strat in the collection. And its funny how no one has ever played it, and looked at the name on the neck. That is the true judgment of quality- blind testing.

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

I got a hold of a digital camera and want to post pics.Once i take the pics and have them on my comp,how do i go about placing them on this page?....Is there a site I can go to that will help and tell me exactly what to do?

You can either hit the "attach file" button when you're writing your post and upload them to this board, or go here: www.photobucket.com , register an account, and copy/paste the url with tags into your message.

The first way, they will show up as a clickable file to download and view. The second way, people will be able to see them in your post.

Archived