Hey, look. It's GFS.

TheGZeus,OnFire

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Seriously, take a look.

GFS is these with a couple tweaks ona few models.

At least we know who's making them.

THis IS a Chinese company, right?

was it ever held out to be something other than that? From what I remember, the dude from GFS mentioned that his pups are made to his specs overseas by a company that does other brands as well.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

was it ever held out to be something other than that? From what I remember, the dude from GFS mentioned that his pups are made to his specs overseas by a company that does other brands as well.

'Overseas' does not mean China.

Korea, I'd buy all day with no regrets.

China, I'll GRUDGINGLY buy some of the mini-amps for a very specific project.

• Members

'Overseas' does not mean China.

Korea, I'd buy all day with no regrets.

China, I'll GRUDGINGLY buy some of the mini-amps for a very specific project.

You mean China is not overseas? What did they move to Canada or something? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Also, the 'to his specs' thing comes a bit into question of a few of those models on that site.

Not ALL, but some. Maybe he liked the way they sounded stock, and that's fine.

But the electronics are all bone-stock, as are the parts.

Once again, were it Korea, I'd be all over it, but China....

• Members

Also, the 'to his specs' thing comes a bit into question of a few of those models on that site.

Not ALL, but some. Maybe he liked the way they sounded stock, and that's fine.

But the electronics are all bone-stock, as are the parts.

Once again, were it Korea, I'd be all over it, but China....

I wouldn't be splitting hairs over my recollection of his statements...trusting my recollection of events could be dangerous ;)

• Members

Actually, there a quite a few designs this company does NOT have that GFS does, and the ones that appear in common also appear to be superficially in common. There are several overseas company and this one doesn't look any more like GFS than the rest.

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

Actually, there a quite a few designs this company does NOT have that GFS does, and the ones that appear in common also appear to be superficially in common. There are several overseas company and this one doesn't look any more like GFS than the rest.

Are you kidding? Look at the electronics section.

There's ONE thing there that GFS doesn't offer, and that's the stepped tone knobs.

GFS has two things they don't in that section.

And I stated that there are things they offer through GFS that they don't offer elsewhere.

• Members

Are you kidding? Look at the electronics section.

There's ONE thing there that GFS doesn't offer, and that's the stepped tone knobs.

GFS has two things they don't in that section.

And I stated that there are things they offer through GFS that they don't offer elsewhere.

Maybe we're not looking at the same things ... because I see all kinds of differences in the offerings. Besides electronic parts are pretty generic looking. He might get SOME of his stuff there, but I was looking mostly at the pickups, and I don't see any reason to believe this company is the source. I've seen other places that could also be THE source, if you add and remove a few items.

It means nothing.

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

It means nothing.

true, either way GFS is still a cheap parts distributor...china, korea, or whereever sourced. I doubt anyone thought they were selling a full on custom made line of MIA parts or anything like that. The company (or companies) that make their parts prb make them for a number for different brand labels.

• Members

OK I'll bite.

We do not buy from this company or any other of the HUNDREDS of Asian based catalog houses.

Every single item we offer is ordered directly from the factory. We use suppliers in the USA, Europe, Japan and Korea. Since pickups are a fairly common item thatmust fit into a pre-existing slot- lots of manufacturers use the same covers and screws and bobbins etc.- in some cases items of vastly differing quality look almost exactly the same in a 72 dpi web image.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of our GFS brand pickups is designed by us here in Boston. We build hand wound prototypes, and where needed procide Cad blurpints for new molds and fixtures. They are made to our exact specs in Korea. many use USA sourced wire and german alnico magnets.

Most of our electronics are based upon a preexisting circuit board topography, but in every case the components and consequently the tone is vastly different from the "catalog house" versions.

The bridges and tuning machines are in many cases stock items- in some cases they are custom made for us.

You'd be VERY SURPRISED to see where the parts and pickups and various guitar hardware made in the same factories as the ones we use wind up- some very prestigious guitar manufacturers are unpacking the same Ocean containers that we are...

I'm a high end guy at heart- 60's Strats and Les Paul Juniors and Lollars and fralins and all the good stuff- but every pickup we sell is something that I would and DO play out with- in front of people- live. If I can't use it we don't sell it.

Not sure why some people have such a hard time with good quality stuff that's cheap??

• Members

Originally posted by Guitarfetish

OK I'll bite.

We do not buy from this company or any other of the HUNDREDS of Asian based catalog houses.

Every single item we offer is ordered directly from the factory. We use suppliers in the USA, Europe, Japan and Korea. Since pickups are a fairly common item thatmust fit into a pre-existing slot- lots of manufacturers use the same covers and screws and bobbins etc.- in some cases items of vastly differing quality look almost exactly the same in a 72 dpi web image.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of our GFS brand pickups is designed by us here in Boston. We build hand wound prototypes, and where needed procide Cad blurpints for new molds and fixtures. They are made to our exact specs in Korea. many use USA sourced wire and german alnico magnets.

Most of our electronics are based upon a preexisting circuit board topography, but in every case the components and consequently the tone is vastly different from the "catalog house" versions.

The bridges and tuning machines are in many cases stock items- in some cases they are custom made for us.

You'd be VERY SURPRISED to see where the parts and pickups and various guitar hardware made in the same factories as the ones we use wind up- some very prestigious guitar manufacturers are unpacking the same Ocean containers that we are...

I'm a high end guy at heart- 60's Strats and Les Paul Juniors and Lollars and fralins and all the good stuff- but every pickup we sell is something that I would and DO play out with- in front of people- live. If I can't use it we don't sell it.

Not sure why some people have such a hard time with good quality stuff that's cheap??

Thanks for that! I am looking at those texas singles. Great to see you here!

• Members

Originally posted by Guitarfetish

I have to say that I have been totally satisfied with the Tele pups I purchased from you...and the low price was a bonus on top of a good pair of pups.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Jay. Just checked the UPS tracking number and the parts I just ordered will be arriving on Monday. I will also be ordering new pickups for my 51 once I can make up my mind as to what exactly I want. I have ordered a number of parts from you and without exception I have found them to be exactly what I wanted and expected. How about offering a nice quality top loading hardtail bridge that will drop into a Squier 51? Lots of guys got the guitar during the sale at MF, but don't really like the cheap saddles on the OEM hardtail, and don't want to change to a through body......Just a HINT HINT...........

• Members

Hi

Thanks for the good words-

The generic top loading HT bridges are all crap like the one you presently have. We do have a design for a bitchin version with stainless steel saddles that sounds almost as good as a string through- but between mold costs and 5000 pc. minimums we're considering whether to do it or not.

• Members

you gotta check out some of the clips on their site though.

The way I am seeing it, my momma didn't raise no fool.

CS Texas Specials compared to their Texas singles...... it's a no brainer for me.

I deal with a similar "thing" as GFS. I purchase in large bulk from the same place as other large companies. Since you guys don't know what I do or where I sell, I can tell you. I sell at 15% of retail, the same items that "Seers" and "Targot" stocks. Matter of fact, same maker, same box. Nothing is different.

HOWEVER, dare I say the "seers" name or "targot" name, I lose my rights to this source, and face court as well as fines to $500,000.

I am sure if he could say, "Fender sells these" or "Warmoth sells these", then he would. :thu:

Archived