Any Rivera Owners?

Alchemist

• Members

I asked this a while back but got limited response, so I am gonna try it again. I'm in the market for a few amps right now and will buy them in order. I think first I want a rivera combo, I am leaning towards the Chubster but not married to it. If anybody owns one or has experience with said product or company please let me know what you think, recommendations, warnings etc..

The other is a Dr Z Maz 18, again same deal if you have it or have experience with the company I would appreciate some honest criticism, advice, etc, thanks:)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a Chubster. It's a really nice amp but gets much nicer when you swap out the stock speaker for a vintage 30 and put the GT Mullard 12AX7's in V1 and V2. It's a great amp for Classic Rock and Blues Rock.

I can get some very nice BF type clean tones, abiet not a ton of head room.

The lead channel is very loud and sweet, especially if your looking for a brown sound. To get the sweet spot I turn the gain up only about half way. The boost gives some great sustain and grind at lower volumes (not bedroom). As with most Rivera', you need to open up a little to get the best tone. In this channel I can easily find Zep, Cream, ZZ, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Rush.

• Members

I'm using a Suprema 55 in my hard rock band, I also use it for fusion jams too.

Very nice, versatile amp overall. I think the clean channel is totally outstanding, and the clean channel boost is brilliant. The Dirty channel is very rich and smooth, but can be a little boxy sounding for my tastes.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's PC Board. I've been looking into upgrading to a Dr. Z 6545 head actually ...

• Members

Riveras are awesome amps. They're built extremely well and are just generally brutal amps-- they punch through! I had the Fandango 55 2x12. I wanted, like many Rivera owners, that combo of Marshall and Fender tones. My preference was leaning towards the Marshall camp which is why I liked the EL34s in the Fandango.

Well-- I found that I didn't like the clean channel as much as I had hoped. It's almost like it was trying too hard to have that Fender shimmer and it sounded artificial to my ears (I think the Quiana with its 6L6s cops that better).

The gain channel was really something amazing. Damn that thing was a beast! I used it in combo form, and also pumped it through my 1960A 4x12. It totally rocked either way. It really wants to be cranked to get all its goodness, or 'badness' if you prefer.

My main problem with it was just too many knobs and options. Just when I would find my sweet spot for Strat #1, Tele #1 would require re-adjusting, and then that same thing, but more so, with any HB guitars. There were no bad sounds in the amp, but there were just too many sounds for me. I was constantly twiddling knobs. I sold mine and did very well on it.

They are really fantastic amps-- just consider what you really want from an amp before choosing one of them.

PaulS

Rivera1resiszed.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by pennypusher

I'm using a Suprema 55 in my hard rock band, I also use it for fusion jams too.

Very nice, versatile amp overall. I think the clean channel is totally outstanding, and the clean channel boost is brilliant. The Dirty channel is very rich and smooth, but can be a little boxy sounding for my tastes.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's PC Board. I've been looking into upgrading to a Dr. Z 6545 head actually ...

:confused: Not to start this debate again, but for you, what's wrong with PCB board amps?

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

:confused:
Not to start this debate again, but for you, what's wrong with PCB board amps?

PaulS

for one, when PC board amps fry, they are kinda screwed, point-to-point hand wired amps are easier to fix:) ...

and thanx for the input guys, on this old thread lol, surprised people actualy saw it and cared enough to answer:) ...

I have the rivera already on the way, I really liked everything it had to offer and will fit a nice little niche in my setup, I needed an amp that was versatile, could get great tone and become a metal monster when needed without sacrificing great tone on other settings (I didnt feel that any of the Mesa's I played could do this, as well I wanted an EL34 amp)..... I already have a custom(rewired, retubed, new weber vst silver bell speaker) traynor ycv40 limited(limited fireengine red tolex) which nails beefy cleans and a nice mid gain tone for blues and rock.....

as far as the Dr Z, probably going to pickup a head (maz 18 or carmen ghia) in about a year or so:)

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

for one, when PC board amps fry, they are kinda screwed, point-to-point hand wired amps are easier to fix:) ...

:)

Yes-- well aware of that. It's just that that rarely happens. I mean, it's really rare. Don't forget, not all PCB amps are created equal! :thu:

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

Yes-- well aware of that. It's just that that rarely happens. I mean, it's really rare. Don't forget, not all PCB amps are created equal!
:thu:

PaulS

yep I know, its just one of the arguments the class A point-to-point guys like to use arguing against the class A/B crowd lol, I really dont care as long as the tone serves me well:)

• Members

Originally posted by mcalo42

Alchemist, Which Rivera do you have on the way?

rivera chub 40, I liked the tones, plus the boost for each channel, and the deep cab really gave some nice low end chunk for when I wanted to crank it and do some metal, I found it vibrated much less (almost not at all) compared to the thinner framed mesa's, fenders, marshall etc,.... but then again thats what it was designed for:)

chub40_250.jpgRiveraChub40112-40834ctrl.jpg

• Members

Good choice. I played mine last week with my 77 LP Standard and it was sooooo sweet.

BTW, I really think the Ninja boost sounds great too, especially with the guitar volume rolled back a little to bring the volume closer to the level of the lead channel. Don't discount it off the bat because it adds so much volume. It reminds me a little of my Super Reverb cranked to the point where it just starts to break up but does it at much lower (comfortable) pratice volumes.

It seems to me the lower you play the greater the boost/volume effect. I think Rivera designed the boost feature for gigging volumes.

Open it up a little for a little slice of tone heaven.

Archived