Ever had one of those moments where you dont know which to buy?

K3Fallout

• Members

Originally posted by K3Fallout

Hmm..it looks nice but the finish is not my thing..and right now I have to get the money before I can buy it.Which will be awhile. So I think he will sell it by then.

Is G&L a good brand also?

Yes, but they have guitars that are vastly different from what you've been looking at. They are less nu-metal and more classic rock and blues.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EDIT: I can't find any dealers on Carvin either..so I guess thats a lost deal.

They sell direct - www.carvin.com -

I have a DC127 and a CT4 on the way once they are done building it fo me.

For the money they utterly stomp the competition. Even if you want custom pickups after the fact they are still way cheaper for the consistent and high level of quality you get. The only reason more kids don't play them is becuase they aren't endorsing anyone famous.

You can get crazy good deals on used Carvins, again becuase of brand recognition being lower despite the guitars eating equally priced stuff alive.

The C-1 is a nice looking guitar but how much of the cost went into making it flashy and shiny and how much went into making it intonate well? This is what worries me about guitar like that - though I do like my LTD EC-1000 a lot too but I wonder if they are consistent enough to buy sight unseen?

Good luck and try as much as you can before you buy.

• Members

The one is going to be more Les Paul-like and the other is going to be more Strat-like.

Should be Very Different Tones.

So which tone do you want.

If it were my choice and I was buying one of the Schecters you listed, I would go with the C-1. It's also got some good USA pickups in it.

If you want the other model, buy a Fender Strat instead.

• Members

Well,right now I have an MIM Fatstrat..so I guess that should count? Yeah I think most likely I will go for the C-1. Right now I'm reading the reviews on it from HC.

You know, there are options outside of Schecter. Personally, I think that they are fugly. I don't see how someone could put up with the vine of life thing. Schecters are just too nu-metal for me.

Personally, I'd look into one of the Korean PRS guitars. The new ones go for around $400-500 new, and you can get the used ones for a bit less (the older Santanas are for whatever reason considered more desirable).

• Members

Yeah I know there are other options,but when I see other options,I get even more confused on what to get!! For example, I was thinking of maybe an Agile 3500 or a Tokai Love Rock. Or maybe even a Tokai PRS.

Well, when you're at that store checking out the Schecters, check out some of the PRS SE guitars.

• Members

Well,the problem is my nearest Guitar Center (gasp) barely carries any Schecters. Last I saw, they pretty much only had a C1- plus,thats about it.

That's OK. You're there to check out the PRS SE's not the Schecters. Honestly, the C-1 Classic is the only one that anyone talks about anyway. However, there is some dude in the SPAM thread selling that C-1 A/E (the semi-hollow one) for $350. I'd get it if I had the money.

• Members

Meh,forget that. Now that you mention about the c-1 being talked about a lot.. I'm thinking Tokai now.Either the PRS or the Love Rock. Love Rock is 500,not sure about PRS.

The PRS's are $400-500 depending on where you look. You can get them less for cheaper. The first generation without the pickguard (and some with trems) are seen as more desirable. They go for around $300-400 used. These are for the Santana SE's.

PRS recently released more SE guitars with humbuckers (SE Standard and SE Custom):

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/secustom.html

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/sestandardcherry.html

I don't know how much these cost.

New Santanas:

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/santanase_ts.html

• Members

Hmm..

and

what do you think?

Between those two, I'd personally take the PRS copy as they are lighter and more comfortable than the LP copies.

But I'd probably go with the PRS Santana SE over a Tokai. But the Santana's don't have a maple veneer like those; so if that is important to you, I guess go with that.

• Members

well..since I am pretty "hardware savvy" I wouldn't know what that means...

/hides

How much is the PRS Santana SE? Any good dealers?

Hardware savvy? What are you not savvy about?

I don't know of any good dealers off hand other than Dave's Guitar. They are $499 there, I believe. You have to email for the price though.

www.davesguitar.com

There are tons of other places, I'm sure. Check out this place as well (they should have them):

www.elderly.com

• Members

Like..right now I keep hearing coil tap this and coil tap that..and I still cant figure out what that is. Whilst reading reviews on the PRS SE, one guy said this: "However, I installed a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge and installed two 2 way switches (I placed them between the volume and tone knob which I was nervous about but it actually looks quite good). I now can have the guitar as a humbucker, a single coil, or both. Now this guitar screams. The single coil mode on it is awesome, the humbucker phenomenonal...put it in single coil mode...roll off the tone know and you can get that Clapton Cream sound. Use the neck pickup only in humbucker mode and you can get a great Page esque crunch.."

• Members

I dont care about who plays em,who uses them or if its signature. I just want a great guitar thats extremely versatile.And purrrty. Although,If I do choose the PRS, I would do the same as that guy did, JB and Jazz and 2 two-way selector switches.

Archived