Good "whammy-bar starter guitar"...

Soeru

• Members

I'm thinking about investing in a 2nd guitar just to have 2 seperate tunings available, however I've become very infatuated with floyd rose bridges...

I'm looking for something ridiculously cheap or something that can be acquired real cheap used. I know that licensed Floyd bridges are for the most part bad, but maybe someone can enlighten me with one that has a decent bridge that won't go out of tune after use. My budget is $200 or less.

I've seen some real interesting ones at Rondomusic.net with locking licensed Floyd bridges but I don't trust the quality of the bridges. I'm definately looking for something with a locking nut and bridge.

Is it possible to find a decent Floyd guitar for that price range? I just want to experiment with Floyds but I don't want to spend a lot like on an Ibanez RG 550 or a Jackson Dinky of some sort, I don't need that level of awesomeness, just a whammy to screw around with.

• Members

Wow... looks like it's just the thing I'm looking for. Well the body wood doesn't sound too good but I'll eventually throw in some active pickups in that so I guess it won't matter.

How does it hold the tuning after abusing the tremolo? I'd be playing whammy-frenzy crap on that guitar, as I'm a big fan of Slayer, Vader, and Morbid Angel to name a few. Does it go out of tune often?

Thanks for the reccomendation, however I'm still open for more suggestions so feel free to reccomend a few.

• Members

I'm not an expert on Floyd Rose but I understand that cheap ones are kind of a pain in the ass. Just a word of caution!

For that money, I'd go for a Jay Turser Wolfgang Style. I checked out a Turser tele at a pawn shop the other day and could not believe the quality. Better neck finish than most Squires but they are not string through so that killed the deal for me.

The Wolfgang looks quite nice though and they go for like $200 brand new.

If you can spend a little more, check out Mean Street Guitars. The guy builds all sort of EVH replicas and they are very nice with excellent hardware and P/U options. The guy has pretty good reputation too. Probably my next guitar.

• Members

The OLP MM4 is not a locking trem. The OLP MM1 Floyd is what you'd want to look at.

Also look at the Peavey Predator Plus for $219. I played one the other day. Great guitar at that price

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511368/

Also there is a Douglas over at Rondo Music for $119. It was recently purchased by somebody on this board who really liked it. Do a search and read what he had to say

http://www.rondomusic.net/si13.html

• Members

I agree that licensed floyds are ok.

I had a Douglas from Rondo. It was about $120 with set neck. Played great. I didnt like the pups though.

I have another guitar with a licensed floyd thats 4 yrs old and no problems. If it wears out I'll put out another $20 and get a new bridge.

Archived