sharing the mystery ...

otis_rush_fan

• Members

So I'm in my bedroom tonight w/the window open (it's like 80 degrees in Okla. today), shades down, magnifying glass out, tweezers out, restringing this Epi LP Deluxe I have, wanting to hang on to it but knowing it'll never get the sound I get fr/ my Squier 51 (the whole woody quack backing up the notes thing).

I tune the Epi up and plug in to my Vox 30 ValveReactor to tune and give the strings a nice stretch so I can retune them again. I do my little Stormy Monday routine -- some ninths, some licks, some linths, some nicks.

Outside the window I hear this weird clacking. Pretty sure it's not the guitar. I play a few more licks and the clacking, along with some weird vocalizing, begins.

I look out the window, but let's face it. My vision is {censored}. I see only the dark.

I keep playing.

'Bout Five mins. later, my wife, who's been in the living room watching that Because of Winn-Dixie move w/my kids, open the door.

"There's some kid outside who wants to watch you play."

"What?"

So I take off my guitar and go to the door. This kid with a big huge gleaming stone in his ear tells me how good I sound, etc., and asks what do I play.

I take him back to the bedroom and show him. Then, he proceeds to make up some lies about how he also plays guitar. I asked him what model does he play. He said, "Like that big fat guitar you got in your garage."

I don't have a guitar in my garage. Wish I did.

Sad thing is, I didn't offer him a play on the guitar I was messing with. I should have, and I know it now. He did too. He saw this cruddy Affinity Tele in my closet and asked me to let him have it. I told him it'll shock your shorts off if you plug it in, which is true, it has electrical issues.

Then he said he never plugs in, anyways.

I shoulda let him have the plank. I don't need it, its resale value is crap.

I feel like the gods dropped in on me tonight and I failed them.

Being nearly blind sucks.

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by otis_rush_fan

So I'm in my bedroom tonight w/the window open (it's like 80 degrees in Okla. today), shades down, magnifying glass out, tweezers out, restringing this Epi LP Deluxe I have, wanting to hang on to it but knowing it'll never get the sound I get fr/ my Squier 51 (the whole woody quack backing up the notes thing).

I tune the Epi up and plug in to my Vox 30 ValveReactor to tune and give the strings a nice stretch so I can retune them again. I do my little Stormy Monday routine -- some ninths, some licks, some linths, some nicks.

Outside the window I hear this weird clacking. Pretty sure it's not the guitar. I play a few more licks and the clacking, along with some weird vocalizing, begins.

I look out the window, but let's face it. My vision is {censored}. I see only the dark.

I keep playing.

'Bout Five mins. later, my wife, who's been in the living room watching that Because of Winn-Dixie move w/my kids, open the door.

"What?"

So I take off my guitar and go to the door. This kid with a big huge gleaming stone in his ear tells me how good I sound, etc., and asks what do I play.

I take him back to the bedroom and show him. Then, he proceeds to make up some lies about how he also plays guitar. I asked him what model does he play. He said, "Like that big fat guitar you got in your garage."

Sad thing is, I didn't offer him a play on the guitar I was messing with. I should have, and I know it now. He did too. He saw this cruddy Affinity Tele in my closet and asked me to let him have it. I told him it'll shock your shorts off if you plug it in, which is true, it has electrical issues.

That might have been God testing you.

So how was he making a clacking sound? Was he knocking on the door or something? How old was this kid? The kid has some balls to just come to someones house late at night and asking to hear you play.

Also, what do you mean "huge gleaming stone in his ear"?

• Members

He had his thing consisting of two purple plastic hands that clacked together when he shaked, or shook, it.

It was really weird.

I'm glad for the experience.

Who is Vin Diesel? Is he an accountant or something?

What was the thing in his ear? How old was this kid?

Why weren't you watching Winn Dixie? :D

• Members

He had this big gleaming earring on his left earlobe.

He said was 12, but he was pretty big for 12.

I worked for Winn-Dixie long ago.

I think he was just a kid who likes the sound of the guitar, and he pursued what he likes.

I'm a little blind, and a little impulsive.

I ain't looking to be adopting any more kids than those I've got.

He was a nice enough kid.

I would've never had teh nerve to do what he did, but then again, I was brought up by hand, and I mean the calloused side of it.

• Members

I keep playing.

"What?"

he'll be back:)

• Members

There's nothing wrong with being nice to a strange kid - you might positively impact him in ways you don't anticipate.

But I would at least get some information from him: "So kid, where do you live?" "Do your parents know where you are?" Etc.

And tell him next time to knock on the front door if he doesn't want to get mistaken for a burglar and catch a bullet in the head. :D

• Members

Nah, he lives on my street. I just saw him playing bball in a driveway this morning.

Add to that the fact I work from home and the house is never unoccupied.

No one's breaking in.

Plus, I have nothing to steal that couldn't easily be replaced.

I don't know. In retrospect, maybe I should've just said, "Sorry, I'm busy, go away," after my wife told me he'd rung the doorbell.

I have a hard time trying not to please kids, even my own.

Archived