Ever heard of a Moridira Hurricane?

mabus013

• Members

I actually picked this guitar out of a main street garbage can. I was xmas time, and while looking at a local pawn shop for deals I was walking across the street when I noticed the guitar's neck sticking out of the trash can on the corner.

"Hey, cool! A guitar neck!"

I picked it up out of the trash and said "Hey, cool, a guitar neck with a guitar attached to it!" :D

It sat around for awhile - I pulled the crap electronics out and replaced them with a Steve Morse model Dimarzio and a new volume pot and jack. It's a late 80's Korean guitar, but's not as bad as you'd think. The neck pocket isn't great, but I've seen Fenders as bad and I shimmed it on the side with some folded aluminum foil to keep it from shifting. The body is solid - there's a big chip of finish taken down to the sealer on the corner. No plywood here! The body's shape is similar to a G&L Rampage - sort of an jazz bass style offest to a start body. Sort of.

With the decent pickup and streamlined electronics, it doesn't sound bad at alll. Farily simliar to my Ibanez RG550. Plays pretty good, and the cheapo tuners are ok but eventually will need to go, replaced by some cheap Gotohs.

I've been thinking about stripping the body down to the bare wood, yanking the Dimarzio and replacing it with the P90 from my Meldoy Maker reissue and trading for a neck single coil. Get a three way switch from somewhere. Might even break out the engraving bit on the Dremel a do something cool, like Lemmy's custom Ric bass.

Won't be bad for nearly free. Anyone else ran into these guitars? I've heard they were used by Jason Becker back in the day.

• Members

That's awesome. I think I'm going to have to go through with this project now - it'd be so cool to have people gawk at it and think it's some kind of weird 70's off brand - think Ovation solid bodies, that kind of thing - when it's really a late 80s lower rung 'pudwacker' as Fatdawg likes to call 'em.

That's gonna be sweet. I'm wondering what I should get for the neck position...I've always liked the idea of an EMG single coil in the neck position, and this would give it to me. It'd be a weird, dual personality guitar - kind of a hi-fi clean tone with the EMG, and more raw with the P90. The mix would sure be interesting.

I dunno. I just want something weirder - I have two other guitars with bridge humbuckers, and I'm eventually going to get a Nelsonic tele copy because I've wanted a tele for a long time. This would be just weird - P90 bridge tones mated with strat body/neck tonalities. I'd likely use it a lot for clean parts if it had the EMG in the neck - EMG single coils just make for awesome cleans, don't know why.

Archived