more quick help please (current project needs finished!)

fishfartz

• Members

i need to throw a pot in my strat - the original pots are too dark with the HB i just placed in the guitar

i need to replace just the volume pot (since the humbucker is not controlled by either tone pot), correct?

what i mean is - its wired like the old strats - the 2 tone controls are for the middle and neck - so

the HB is muddy with the strat volume pot, if i change it to 500k will this give the highs i need that are rolled off with the 250k?

also -

this pot only reads on the back:

27-B

is that a 500k pot?

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

I think the 500B pots are generally used for volume controls.

Although if the 500A was used as a volume control on the old guitar I reckon it would work on this one.

How did you end up wiring the HB anyway?

i noticed the strat already had 500k pots - i guess thats why it sounded warmer than traditional strats (lite ash) - so i just cut the wires where the single coil bridge was and popped it out.

i cut the HB out the same way in the LP. this way i can just use the nice & clean pot/wiring job in the relatively new strat. i realize it isnt common but the end result is great - quiet as can be!

i just braided the wires together and solered them to stay put- then ill do the same when i throw the single coil in the LP!

the HB is still a little warm in the strat which is great for me because i cant stand HBs that are very bright and ice picky.

so yeah, i just wired the red humbucker to black strat wire, and the white bucker to white strat wire, and that left the bare/exposed wire on the HB. i just folded it back against the shielded and taped it up as to not touch anything. i tried running it to a ground but got noise - and when i taped it up unused no noise!

its not really common to do it this way but it worked great.

thanks for the info anyway - thats good to know. i didnt have to use those pots but im sure i will one day

Archived