Help me choose a fingerboard please.

chiro972

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference in tone anyway

you would be surprised, please for your own sake, go and try to play two similar guitars with necks similar to the woods you have chosen, im assuming this project isnt cheap, and it would be a shame if you didnt like your guitar as much as you could as a result of not checking it out

sorry about the rant, but my brother did the same thing, although it was with an ebony fingerboard over maple on a tele (i know, i know) and he dug it at first but then soon grew tired of the tone, then he played one wiht a maple board and regretted his original choice

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

Sorry-- I know you said "this, or this", but when you mention a cherryburst-- I just can't help thinking how sweet a tinted all maple neck would look. :-)

PaulS

Actually, that's what I have on there now, but I don't like the profile of the neck and I just always seem to like rosewood fingerboards better than maple.

• Members
Originally posted by tiger roach

That "Pau ferro" looks great, but I don't know anything about how it would feel, tone characteristics etc...

Mee too.

But since its impact on the tone is probably minimal - DO IT DUDE!

Looks cool assuming it won't clash with the rest of the guitar.

It's waaaaaavy :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by PolyFmorf

The Pau is
GOOD LOOKING!

You guys have obviously no idea of what 'pau' can mean, and how your posts can be interpretated, right? :D

Pau ferro resembles ebony in tone, btw. All those hard and dark fretboard woods(pau ferro, ebony, rosewood, brazilian rosewood, brauna etc) sound very similar.

• Members

^:D No, think with me...pau, literally, means 'wood', right? What's a 'morning wood'?
That's right... 'pau' is a big erect dick :D

-----------------
Ebony is brighter than rosewood, but it's not close to maple. I'd say without a doubt it's much closer to rosewood than maple.
Pau ferro has some inconsistency, and some boards can sound more or less bright, depending on the hardness of the piece.

Archived