Piezo Pickups for Les Paul

acravero

• Members

Who has 'em, which one is the best, and what will I need to (completely) install one? I've looked at the Schaller and the Graph Tech Ghost, but I can't figure out if I need some sort of pre-amp, or if the saddle assembly is enough. Ideally, I'd like this setup:

2 way DPDT on/on

Magnetics/Piezo

2vol/2tone (1 for mags, 1 for piezos)

Stereo Output jack split into Y with 1 plug for Piezo, 1 for Mags, so I can send to different amps (but not add a hole in the guitar).

Is this setup feasible with any of the models listed above, and how hard is it to install?

Thanks!!

• Members

The Graphtechs will work great.

The sound may change a little because of the composition of the saddles, but IMO it's positive.

Running the saddle pickup wires will take a little thought and work, but won't deface the instrument.

The Graphtech preamp sounds very good (and should fit easily), but with the y-cord you will be able to run an external preamp the will sound great, also.

• Members

Doug,

Thanks for the reply! How did you run the wires? Did you cut slits in the pickup mounting ring and just use the pickup cavity, or do you have to drill a small hole under the bridge?

Also, have you seen/heard anything about the Schaller LP Piezo bridge?

Thanks!

• Members

Check out this thread:

Installed Graphtech piezos on a Schecter C1-Classic (full pics)

The guy describes in great detail (with full pics too!) what he went through to install a set of Graphtech Ghosts. The installation turned out brilliantly! :D

BTW the LR Baggs piezos are also an excellent option. I was tossing up between those and the Graphtechs. What made the decision easier was that the LR Baggs didn't have a version that fit the posts on my guitar.

Archived