Why does my Boss DD3 delay sound like crap?!?!?!?

flaming turd

• Members

i just got this boss dd3 on ebay, and well, listen:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=2069

first is the boss

then @ :34 or so is the built in delay in my crate gfx-65t

then @ 1:22, back to the boss

then @ 1:44, back to crate

and at 2:10, that stupid boss.

it sounds like {censored}, all harsh and not good sounding at all like the crate. what is wrong with it? i don't htink it is supposed to sound like this?

thanks for the help, bruce.

• Members

My off-the-cuff guess is that it does not like being in front of the Crate's built-in distortion. Have you tried putting it in the effects loop? That might help.

Of course, the opposite could be true. I've seen some delays work poorly in effects loops on some amps so you probably want to try the opposite of the way you have it configured right now.

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

My off-the-cuff guess is that it does not like being in front of the Crate's built-in distortion. Have you tried putting it in the effects loop? That might help.

Of course, the opposite could be true. I've seen some delays work poorly in effects loops on some amps so you probably want to try the opposite of the way you have it configured right now.

well, it is the same in my el diablo, but i need to try it in the loop.

• Members

you didnt answer someones previous question whether your running pedal into effects loop or straight into the front end. if your goin straight in thats why, you cant do that with a delay especially if your using the amps distortion. another thing i would advise is loweing the "EFFECT LEVEL" of the pedal, sounds like its too high, then set the timing and the amount of repeats to mimic the crate. i love my dd3 you can hear me using it in a video of me playing on my site

see sig. below

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

• Members

Originally posted by stratboy151

you didnt answer someones previous question whether your running pedal into effects loop or straight into the front end. if your goin straight in thats why, you cant do that with a delay especially if your using the amps distortion. another thing i would advise is loweing the "EFFECT LEVEL" of the pedal, sounds like its too high, then set the timing and the amount of repeats to mimic the crate. i love my dd3 you can hear me using it in a video of me playing on my site

see sig. below

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

ok, i kinda thought that's what i needed to do, i'll do that! thanks. it is a little high, but it had it just right last night, and same story.

• Members

That's one of the classic delays. It's a great one. Especially the early ones. While they are digital, they are a lot warmer sounding than all the other Boss delays. The technology keeps making them do longer delays and more stuff, but the tone keeps getting thinner and more harsh.

Unless something's wrong with yours, that's a great effect pedal you've got.

• Members

Originally posted by from prague

Haha so which one do you like better?
:D

I use the DD-6 more often only because the delay still trails off after you turn it off. So I have that set for my most used setting. I use my DD-3 for a slightly slower, but more in your face delay. I also use a DanEcho for echo. That one is nice because it has the treble roll-off.

Archived