Refinishing a Flying V

Jeroen

• Members

A while ago I bought this Flying V:

FlyingV.jpg

From a distance it may look cool to some of you, but if you take a closer look you can see the thick white painted stripes, sometimes corrected with a black marker... Luckily I got it pretty cheap.

But now I want it to be refinished, I know an experienced guy who wants to do it for a very reasonable price. I'm not planning on changing hardware, perhaps the schratchplates, but styles like these I like:

Opties.jpg

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by stanbog

well, i like both examples you've posted, but you don't know how exactly the wood on your guitar looks like. so, no matter what you decide, i think you should have a plan B.

We're planning to put a small layer of wood on top of the body (how do you call it, veneer?). I expect the wood of the V itself is not to beautiful..

• Members

Gibson 1984 model "Flying V 83", made with one of 1500 original 1958 korina bodies found in the Nashville warehouse. They were all painted white (Metallica was hot then) and I got mine for $350 from some teenager who gave up on guitar. Sanded it down and clear-coated it. I added the 2nd tone pot, DZ pups and made my own pickguard & trussrod cover:

FLYINGV83LGFILE.jpg

• Members

I have a similar project to start next week. I'm turning this explorer I picked up cheap(yes, someone did this to a gibson):

guitar2.jpg

into something more like this:

Project29a.jpg

minus the bigsby of course. I like the Kahler, but if I changed it, I change it to a stoptail.

Archived