pickup ring to make a mini-humbucker fit a P90 route?

RoboPimp

• Members

Originally posted by Alumitone

Is that the soapbar pending replacement of a mini-HB?

that's a mini-humbucker in the mounting ring... should fit right into a P90 route.

the link you posted is exactly what I need minus the pickup. Do they sell the ring separately?

• Members

Originally posted by OrvilleGibson

Mini's were made to fit the P-90 route to begin with.

No, they weren't. Gibson eventually set them into cut P-90 covers to mount them in the LP Deluxe. The original Epiphone rings, and the Firebird rings won't work.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

http://tinyurl.com/ct5uh

c4_1.JPG

this is what I need, anyone know who sells them if anyone does.

No one.

Gibson and Seymour-Duncan sell pickups with the rings lalready attached, but no one sells just the rings. You might eventually find a set on eBay. Worse than that, no one supplies the mounting bar necessary to install them, not even Gibson.

But you should also know that the pickup is installed in that ring in a very unique fashion. The pickup has different mounting tabs, and they are mounted on top of a nut that is soldered to the screw to semi-permanently keep it at the right height inside the ring. The whole assembly is then screwed into a mounting bar that is mounted directly to the wood inside the guitar caviety.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

so I just need some P90 covers to "mod" ?

It could be done. This is how Gibson would mount the PU's in the LP Deluxes ...

LPDeluxePU.gif

The Japanese clones used the same method, but their screws were all metric.

You can make your own out of P-90 covers if you are talented enough with a Dremel tool or something. You may also have to make your own mounting bars. Or come up with another way to skin the cat.

-Y.

Archived