Seeking advice on archtop

TheStoveMan

• Members

I've recently done a probe into archtops and there are 2 kinds - the real ones and the wannabes.

A "true" archtop is just that - an acoustic archtop instrument designed to be played acoustically. Their design allows them to be played loud without amplification. They are built similar to a violin in that the top of the guitar transfers the sound via the bridge and uses the resonating of the cavity for it's tone and volume. For amplification "floating" pickups are used and mounted on either the neck or fingerrest so no holes are made in the top. To do so would be like punching holes in the skin of a drum or drilling into the top of a stratavarious.

The "wannabes", such as the ES335's, etc. look like archtops but have pups and pots and switches mounted in the top of the guitar. These are electric guitars and not really archtops.

Do a google on Benedetto to see what I'm talking about. You don't have to spend a fortune for a true archtop - there are a bunch of vintage ones going for 300-500 on eBay simply because most people don't know the difference.

• Members

The best Artcore model in my opinion is the AK-85. They have a spruce top (two ply pressed laminate but nice sounding played acoustically) Buy one for around 400.00 and swap out the pickups and you are set up very nicely.

I would think the next step up might be an archtop with a true solid spruce top but electronics built in. I got a used mint Epiphone Elite Broadway for 1,400.00 that sounds better than some Gibson L-5 guitars I've plugged in.

All solid wood archtops seem to be overkill if you are planning on plugging into an amp. All that resonance really isn't necessary and might even cause more feedback.

Archived