Agile with P-90s ... Should I keep them or Change Them?

Devinstation

• Members

Originally posted by mindwave

how do you find the tonal differences?

i have a 3 hum 2500 and as far as i'm concerned the stock pups are weak.

i DID buy it with the intention of pulling them out and putting in 3 push pull volum pots that will split the coils on all 3 and allow me to turn the 'off' as well as a master tone pot.

i also purchased a NICE mixture of pups to replace the 3 originals with.

i was just REALLY disappointed w/ the stock pups.

the finish on mine however is flawless so i'm ok w/ that

I had to adjust the pups, they were all set real low, sorry I did not mention that. I have Gibsons with p90s and Strats with Kent A p90s. These give me what I want. I bought it with the idea that the pups would be replaced. I may put Kent A p90s on it. I would prefer black covers.

• Members

I must say that of all the whining about Agile guitars ( which are an excellent value by the way and my criticisms are mabye expecting too much. All the "problems" Ive complained about were very fixable). The pickups on all three of the Agiles I've bought were excellent.
The 3000M Prestige has great pickups, The ST-1000 has GREAT single coils and the AL 2500 had some of the best ceramic humbuckers ever!! I did end up goung with a Duncan 59 Bridge and a DiMarzio evolution neck in it but I liked the Ceramics sooo much that I put them into a 1970 Yamaha Semi hollow (this is no small deal ae the originals in it are actuall Gibson PAF humbuckers from the late 1950's)

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I've played for instance the Epi LP Goldtop with P90s and while its a fine sounding and playing guitar, the pups don't sound like real P90s, pretty far away from it in fact. They sound much more like humbuckers to me. My point of reference on P90 guitars comes from Gibson P90s and PRS Soapbars, which by the way are nowhere near as hot as the Gibson made ones.

Was it an older model? The Goldtop I got this summer has some pretty nice sounding p90s.

Archived