using a DAW for playback of backing tracks?

• Members

Hello friends, this is my first post here. I am sure this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it. If you have a useful topic link, I woudl appreciate it! But here's what I wanna do.

Our band is looking to get more versatility by using a DAW onstage to help us in playing backing tracks. We have a bunch of backing tracks (pads/synths/etc...) that we would like to integrate into our live sound. I was figuring the best way to do this would be to transfer them all into a DAW with internal memory and use it for playback. We've tried doing it with a mini-disc recorder and an ipod, and it just isn't the ideal situation. Since we play some very different venues (acoustically), we'd like the ability to change levels of the different tracks on the fly to compensate for room acoustics. Would a DAW be the way to go?

We would just need something simple.. no complicated onboard effects or drum machine capabilities (we can record a click track elsewhere). Just the ability to store a bunch of sessions that are easy to pull up, the ability to split a signal to the main board and our monitor mix (one with click, and one without). Maybe a few other goodies.

Does this make sense? Or am I completely off track? What should we be looking for?

• Members

Where I work, we use Sonar to play backing tracks off of a laptop-driven glyph drive. We take 8 outs--and feed 6 to the main console via a Motu 828. 7 and 8 are click--it hasn't failed yet.

• Members

yeah, no doubt.

I'm just a bit leery to be using a laptop... we've never had good luck with that. That's why a figured a standalone unit would be best... something like an all-in-one DAW.

Archived