Seymour Duncan vs Dimarzio question

HighVolter29

• Members

I want to buy a new pickup and I'm down to this choice: Seymour Duncan JB4 or Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Now I was wandering if the sound difference and preference between these 2 pickups is purely relative or many factors comes inconsideration in order that the pickup performs at its best.

What I mean is that I've seen a lot of members having a JB4 in bridge position of a mahagony made guitar (LP...) while most of dimarzio users have superstrats... Is the a corelation or it's just me who has a too logical mind :rolleyes:

Well with my Godin Freeway Classic made of maple/poplar, which would suit me more down the road ?

Thanks

• Members

I think both of those pups are better suited to warmer sounding guitars.

The DiMarzio Super Distortion I believe is a hotter cermanic pickup, so think of that pickup to go closer to the metal side. But also remember that the dude from KISS used one of those in a LP to Rock and Roll all night and party every day. (Edit note, the SD actually has a lower DC resistance than the JB, but I'd still bet the SD has greater mv output. DC resistance doesn't always tell the whole story)

The JB is a screaming PAF style pickup using alnico V magnets. Think LP and Jeff Beck.

Those at least are my thoughts. I'm a little wary of the JB since many have found it to be "ice-picky" in the wrong guitar.

I have purchased one Distortion which I put into my stepson's Ibanez Iceman. It was a good pup for that guitar and added more output AND more clarity without being too bright or harsh.

That's about the extent of my experience and opinions on those guys.

• Members

Well the main reason for a new pup is that the stuck godin pickup sucks when adding gain with my Peavey Ultra 112. When the gain is higher than 3 with the boost switch, the distorition gets fuzzy and there's a really anoying "ssshhhhh" sound.

When you mean more output, what does that mean in term of sound, it plays louder !?

By the way thanks GAS man for your input !

• Members

Those 2 pickups are like night and day.

The Duncan JB has plenty of treble and high mids, the low mids are scooped, and bass is pretty neutral.

That's why it compliments a Les Paul so well.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion is FAT, a lot of low mids too, and the treble is recessed. That's why it's used in super strats so often. Tames the harshness caused by the tremolo bridges and the scooped character of ash/alder/maple (in comparison to mahogany).

People throw Super Distortions in Les Pauls, and Duncan JB's in shred guitars, and somehow it works for them after some adjustments at the amplifier, EQ, whatever. However, in my humble opinion, it's just adding insult to injury.

For your guitar, and based on those 2 choices, I would pick the Dimarzio.

• Members

I have both and like both. To my ears, the super distortion has more distortion, drive, and output. The JB sounds warmer. The super distortion has a little more sizzle. The JB is a little more rounder sounding. They're both great pickups. In some ways they sound very similar.

Archived