WHO is this guitarist? let me know...

mysterybat35

• Members

Hey,

I was watching this music video and I didn't realize that it had a guitar solo. The solo is not "over the top" so to speak but it is definately fitting and sounds good for this particular love ballad. ( I could care less about the lyrics so nevermind that while listening)

If anyone knows who this guitarist is please let me know. The solo can be seen on minute 3:22 of the video. Here is the link:

http://www.videodetective.net/player.asp?cmd=3&videokbrate=300&publishedid=305447

Thanks for your help

MB35

• Members

Dwight Sills - Google is your friend:

Combining jazz, funk, pop and urban influences with some tasty splashes of world beat exotica, guitarist Dwight Sills returns to the recording scene with his Citylights Music debut Easy. Co-produced by Sills and Hal Sacks, Easy forges ahead with a new and refreshing creative vision that reflects his growth as a writer and performer over the years since he first appeared on the instrumental scene.

Fans of his breakthrough 1990 hit cover version of Babyface's "Whip Appeal" (from Sills' self-titled Columbia debut) will find the new, original material right in that accessible pocket, while today's contemporary jazz audiences will also appreciate Sills' amazing sense of harmony and rhythmic diversity. Sills has become one of the industry's most durable sidemen, recording or touring with Wayne Henderson & The Next Crusade, Kirk Whalum, Anita Baker, Richard Elliot, Brenda Russell, Rick Braun and Boney James. He is also a first call R&B session guitarist, playing most notably on numerous projects for Babyface, including TLC's monster hit "Red Light Special" from CrazySexyCool. As a songwriter, Sills spread his wings with a publishing deal in 1997, writing alternative vocal pop music.

http://www.jazzpromo.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=80

• Members

I just looked on artistdirect.com and I see that Dwight Sills is African-Amercian. The guy doing the guitar solo in the video was Caucasian.

I'm guessing the guy in the video was not the real one playing?

(Not that it matters but why wouldn't the guy that actually played the solo appear in his own video instead of letting someone else pretend play it?)

Hmmm?

• Members

Not uncommon for studio musicians to be left out of the lime light. They are hired guns. Record their parts and ride off into the sunset.

Vince Gill, the country guy, was a studio guitarist for years before making it big. He played on all sorts of pop, country and rock tracks. The guy has made guitar skills, but he never got famous until he got his country gig.

Archived