Hardshell Guitar Case Suggestions for a Yamaha SG

GAS Man

• Members

I just struck out. Received a $59 Fullerton Les Paul case for my Yamaha SG. It was a very poor fit (too deep, too wide, which caused it to sit in the case with the headstock angle up instead of laying flat) and on top of that, it had very minimal interior padding on the side walls, so the guitar would actually be a lot better off in a good gig bag. It's going to be sent back. I tried this guitar in one of my existing LP cases before submitting my order, and it worked fine in my Gibson case.

I did try a Les Paul in the Fullerton case with the exact same result. Other than not having rounded upper bouts, the Yamaha SG is about the same thickness as a LP with an arched top.

I've been keeping it in a nice gigbag, but I was thinking about find a decent hard case for it and then giving it to my son.

Any suggestion? I prefer molded shaped cases.

• Members

Sometimes, I 'd be tempted to do just that.

YammySG700S.jpg

YammySGBod.jpg

I got a great deal on that guitar. MF was blowing them out a few years back for $350 with a MSRP of $1,399.

I recently found a link for a new one for sale in England for 549 pounds, or about 9 hundred-something U.S. dollars.http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1294

But I wasn't at all thrilled with its stock pups. I've installed a SD '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. I thought being a Alnico II, the PG would be warm, but its got a lot of high end bite to it. It works well in a high gain tube amp environment (has a lot of "cut"), but it tends to be a bit shrill and a little "shallow" in some distortion modes or when playing clean.

The other night I had it running thru a Pocket Rocket and it was sounding great thru the bridge. Made me fall in love with it. But I'm thinking about giving it to my son and then coughing up some bucks to go to a SD Custom-5. That should be a better blend with the neck, tone down the high end, and add more bottom end. (Pickup mods are always a crap shoot for me.) But lately my son is into drop D-tuning metal style playing, so I'm not sure if he'll appreciate it as a gift.

I miss his "Dave Matthews era".

:D

Here's a better photo:

Henrydog.jpg

Archived