Yamaha HS80M...anyone tried them?

• Members

Spent a few minutes with them at GC the other day; nothing substantial, because I didn't have my reference stuff with me, and it was a spur-of-the-moment thing....had to use their copy of Beck's "Sea Change" to give them a listen. But damn, they sounded really good. $349 per is something I could conceivably do.

Any thoughts?

• Members

The hs50m monitors sound ok. I have Genelec 1031a's and there is a night and day difference between the two. The difference to my ears anyway is in the clarity. The HS monitors are somewhat muddy. The one thing i've noticed that the HS monitors do for me is that i can easily distinguish what stuff is too loud in the mix with them. They are bright enough that stuff just pops out. The genelec's tend to sound too nice sometimes.

Anyway, I would imagine that the HS80m's would sound fuller (8 inch vs 5 inch cones).

Hope this helps some as you gather info.

• Members

Thanks for replying! I was about to write this thread off...

I A/B'd the 50s with the 80s, and the difference, if not night and day, was morning and evening. I don't know if I'd use the word "muddy"...perhaps, "foggy"? But that's just me.

Recalling what I listened to on them, I can see what you mean about the "what's too loud" point. They would be good for that. I wasn't seriously looking at the 50s; I already have a pair of NS10's (which I never use), and I'm currently working with Alesis Point Sevens; my goal is to get away from this smaller footprint and get into something with a little more heft. An 8-inch woofer with relative cabinet would be a good start.

• Members

Just some more thoughts i had. I was at Guitar Center last week and sat down to listen to different monitors for a long while (the pro audio manager is family friend). I was able to listen to the dynaudio bm5a's, Mackie hr 824's, alesis m1 active, krk v8, JBL LSR 4328 p, as well as several smaller monitors. Granted these are not necessarily high end monitors but they are popular and can be revealing to various degrees.

Out of the bunch (and in that particular room) i thought that the Mackie HR had a bit more bass. They all sounded rather similar in the low end otherwise. The midrange and highs were very different from monitor to monitor. I would say i thought (again to my ears) that the mackie HR and the KRK v8 were the most revealing with the mackie's having a bit fuller bass. The JBL's (tuned to the room) sounded rather "pinched" to me. I really like how the dynaudio monitors sounded. They seemed to sound very balanced except that they (like the others) couldn't reproduce the the kick and bass with alot of weight - they had punch but not LOW end punch .

Again, this is my experience in a specific room. I'm sure others will have opinions to offer.

Orlando

Archived