What's the deal with XJ frets?

constrictor

• Members

So I bought this ESP LTD EX-400 about a month ago, because I was just blown away by the sound and immediate "feel" of this particular guitar. Really something after having played on the cheapest of cheapest Squier Strat for a while.

However, after playing it for a while, I find my self rather frustrated with the extremely high frets used. I find it hard not to get the tone out of pitch, because if I press down on the string, the amount of pressure has to be very precise in order for it to not go out of tune. Know what I mean?

My question is: what is the "theory" behind having XJ over normal jumbo-type frets? I just tried a Gibson SG that has smaller fret gauges, and it doesn't have the same problem. Anyone familiar with this?

It seems that a lot of these metal-guitars use XJ frets insted of jumbo. Why? Which style should I adopt to play XJ frets the best way?

cheers

• Members

IMHO,

Some players prefer not to feel the fret board. Personaly I like both. I have seen strictly acoustic players play electrics. Even with regular frets they struggle to keep chords in tune with there heavy touch. You must learn to walk the rice paper my son.

• Members

I absolutely hate XJ frets. I had an ESP awhle back - beautiful guitar just I couldn't stand the XJ frets. So I sold it after having for like 3 months.

I think ESP has XJ frets on all their guitars, which explains why i never will buy an ESP again.

jeff

• Members

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

Jackson and Schector guitars have major jumbo frets as compared to the xj's

I am trying to deffend ESP here...don't upset me anymore:mad:
:(

Jacksons USA models frets aren't even as big as what's on some of the ESPs I've tried.

THe Jackson ones are also too big IMO.

I prefer the Gibson size....that's the perfect balance.

Down with ESP. Hail Satan.

• Members

I don't know what these frets look like, but if they are flat on the top, then it's not necessarily technique. They need a good crown and you need proper finger pressure for good intonation.

I played a new Jackson yesterday and horrible frets. So huge and clunky when you slide around. They were not crowned well for good intonation. Too flat on top.

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

I don't know what these frets look like, but if they are flat on the top, then it's not necessarily technique. They need a good crown and you need proper finger pressure for good intonation.

I played a new Jackson yesterday and horrible frets. So huge and clunky when you slide around. They were not crowned well for good intonation. Too flat on top.

i found jackson frets too big also, but it might have been the guitar (SL3). i found ibanez's to be perfect. i'm actually pretty sure they were pretty much the same size.. just the ibanez was built much better all around ha.

• Members

excellant post....i just did a quote on a custom ESP Lynch M1 Tiger to see what it would be with smaller frets..i was pretty sure i didnt want the XJ frets...maybe jumbo but the XJ just look way to tall ...all my guitars i think have had med jumbos ( prs mccarty, gibby lp, ameri strat to name a few)

Archived