Prince On Snl!!!

Alchemist

• Members

Originally posted by A-Train

I heard he got banned from SNL after tonight. He was supposed to play Purple Rain, but played Black Sweat instead. Oh well, he went out like a champ!
:thu:

That might be close to the truth. If you've noticed, some of the more established acts that have played recently (System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, Korn, etc.) started with their recent single and then played an old hit for the 2nd song. It used to be that most bands would just play two new songs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by floborg

That might be close to the truth. If you've noticed, some of the more established acts that have played recently (System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, Korn, etc.) started with their recent single and then played an old hit for the 2nd song. It used to be that most bands would just play two new songs.

This isn't the truth at all. Prince wasn't banned. It was a subtle joke that apparently most didn't get. Check my "no Lulu" here reply above.

The "joke" is that a lot of people mentioned Prince channeling Hendrix in this thread. One of the more famous stories about Hendrix was the time he was to be on the "Lulu" show in the UK. He was supposed to play his latest hit, but after starting stopped and starting playing a Cream tune (they'd just announced they were breaking up that day). Apparently, the TV execs were plenty mad.

Flash forward a decade and Elvis Costello is sceduled to play SNL. He wants to play a particular song that was really negative toward mass media (television, radio, etc.) and the producers tell him he can't. He tells them he'll play another song...but stops as soon as he starts and goes into the song he originally wanted play. He says he was pulling a "Lulu" as inspired by Hendrix. I believe there were stories that Costello was banned from SNL for that.

Soooo...the original poster was simply joking about Prince getting banned since he seemed to be imbibed with Hendrix's spirit. He even mentioned that he played a song he DIDN'T pay..but maybe no one caught that. I've heard on a couple of other forums that people actually are saying that he was banned, because of this thread. He wasn't banned and he didn't play a song he wasn't supposed to. It was a joke. :)

• Members

He'd be a good sideman for someone that could write.

Yeah...Prince should find a really good Grammy award-winning songwriter to work with and he might find some success. Sinead O'Conner tried that in the eighties and had her only real massive success with that method. It might work for him too.

:p

• Members

A good sideman for somebody that could write!!! LOL now thats funny,Milkman1!!! Thanks for all the clips guys!! The new album, according to Amazon will be called 3121 and release date is 3-21-06. Will have botht the songs that he played on SNL. That goes on my must buy list!!:thu:

• Members

I looked at those performances twice and a third time just now. I don't get it. Sure he's a great entertainer/performer, but his playing is nothing out of the ordinary. I admit I don't have any of his albums, just what I've heard and seen over the years on radio and television. The music sounds ordinary too. Never did enough to me to buy it.

But going all ga-ga over his average but competent playing skills and to equate prince to some other legendary guitarists? Crikes, people are easily amused.

• Members

Originally posted by tin whistle

I looked at those performances twice and a third time just now. I don't get it. Sure he's a great entertainer/performer, but his playing is nothing out of the ordinary. I admit I don't have any of his albums, just what I've heard and seen over the years on radio and television. The music sounds ordinary too. Never did enough to me to buy it.

But going all ga-ga over his average but competent playing skills and to equate prince to some other legendary guitarists? Crikes, people are easily amused.

Your momma

• Members

Originally posted by tin whistle

I thought the same...

Do my spider senses feel a group think ?!!?

Hense why I said earlier in this thread

"I smell a Prince fanboy club brewing"

• Members

I saw him do - I guess it's called A Woman Scorned - on SNL and I thought he was great. Smooth performance, good song, playing and singing lead at the same time, great voice, etc.

Say what you want about the guy's music but there's no denying that he can really play. I mean REALLY play. That is refreshing nowadays. Maybe it'll be cool to put guitars back into pop music again now that he did it.

• Members

Originally posted by RockinIt

I thought the same...

Ahh the diversity of HC!! Ones mans killer licks are another mans HoHum!!

Not a group think at all IMO!! I think the man can rip it up...and did so on the SNL clip and the RRHOF clip!!! If you don't, then you don't, simple as that!! No harm No foul!!NO conspiracy Fanboy club!! LOL

• Members

Originally posted by RockinIt

I thought the same...

:thu:

This prince love-fest is pretty creepy. I suspect many are also into broadway musicals, Liza Minnelli, feather boa's and Bette Midler. :D

• Members

Prince hosted a Grammy/ new album listening party at his house last night.

I heard from a music-industry friend who was in the house:

"Gotta say it was special. Mostly a Tamar show (his new protege) but what a show. It's her and two twins that will melt your mind. Total soul revue for two hours with Prince on lead guitar. Covers included When a Man Loves a Woman, What Have You Done for Me Lately? and Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough. Bits of Housequake and Party Man, too. Damn."

• Members

Originally posted by redwizard6

Ahh the diversity of HC!! Ones mans killer licks are another mans HoHum!!

Not a group think at all IMO!! I think the man can rip it up...and did so on the SNL clip and the RRHOF clip!!! If you don't, then you don't, simple as that!! No harm No foul!!NO conspiracy Fanboy club!! LOL

:D

I couldn't help myself!

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

It's funny that a few people mentioned Hendrix here.

I know that this will sound like total bs, but years ago I worked for a production company (Showco) and was assigned to work the Prince tour for a few shows, so I got to see him live about a dozen times (including his live performance at the '85 Grammy awards). I don't know much about guitarists, but my sense at the time was that he was in the ranks of other leading guitarists, e.g., Hendrix, Page, Townshend, SRV, etc., but nobody ever talked about him as a guitarist. He was always discussed as more of a persona. I'm surprised that people who apparently know he exists have never thought of him as a worthwhile guitarist previously. I think he's one of the better guitarists today.

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Clip inside~! ! If only I could Funk like Prince! Wish I could but this is the best I can do at this moment!

For the record, I LOVE Prince. He is so talented not only on guitar but as a musician period. A HIGHLY underated guitarist@!

Gary

Awesome man, great vibe to it:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Awesome man, great vibe to it:thu:

Thanks mang! It sure ain't Prince though. I am not capable of even handing that man his guitar... Such a talent. A performer

that you just don't see the like of anymore at all!

I love the man!

Gary

• Members

All this talk about Prince is not news to long time Prince fans. Sadly a lot of the great stuff, especially guitar stuff, is buried on studio albums or in unreleased material and live shows.

His regular live shows are great but if you really want to hear great Prince guitar work you need to track down the small club shows he loves to do. THAT is where he is free from the restraints of the "Regular setlist" and just plays what he feels and there are tons of aftershows where he rips {censored} up on guitar.

Two things worth tracking down for anyone wanting to hear Prince on guitar like you won't hear on the radio:

Aftershow from August 19, 1988 on the LoveSexy Tour. This show is famously known in Prince fan circles as the "Small Club" show, recorded at a small club near Rotterdam early in the morning in front of 400 people. Yes it is a bootleg but it is soundboard. It is worth it alone for his rendition of the Temptations "Just My Imagination" where he absolutely smokes on his guitar. You will never think of that song the same again.

Along the lines of what someone mentioned here, the unreleased album "The Undertaker", recorded with the "Paisley Park Power Trio", Prince on guitar, Sonny Thompson on bass and Michael Bland on drums. Amongst the 7 songs is a cover of the Stones "Honky Tonk Women" but Prince's originals are something else. 7 tracks of Prince ripping {censored} up on guitar as part of a trio, all recorded at once in the studio. He was going to give this CD away in issues of Guitar Player magazine but it was in the middle of his fight with Warner Bros. and the whole name change nonsense so it still sits in his Vault but perfect quality copies are circulating amongst fans and on bootleg. Prince privately manufactured 1000 copies of this CD as a picture CD but Warners got wind of this and demanded Prince destroy the entire run. Of course, some copies of the disc escaped destruction and made it out to collectors hands where the originals were exchanged for lots of $$$$ and copies from the original started circulating from there. It was also officially released on video in the UK but he added some silly "interludes" at times during the music to make some silly movie. The actual studio CD obviously is just the music without the interludes.

This is the non-commercial Prince the general public never gets to see or hear. If you are impressed by his performance of "Fury" on SNL and his guitar work there, i encourage you to track these two items down. You won't be disappointed.

You can thank me later! :thu:

DrumAxxe™

Archived