How do I remove the lacquer from the back of a maple neck?

bobbtoz

• Members

I'd like to do this w/ some type of solvent. Can someone recommend a particular solvent (so as not to damage the neck) and any tips would be great. Ultimately I want an unfinished neck w/ a light oil rub on it. Similar to a ernie ball axis.

Thanks.

• Members

ive heard that taking the laquer of the back of a neck could cause it to twist..but im not too sure how it could happen.

perhaps if you were do remove the laquer unevenly the exposed wood might swell more than the rest and cause it to twist? ..just a guess.

• Members

i dont know how it will effect the neck, but the easiest way to get lacquer of is lacquer thinner.

wear gloves that stuff is hot! (i am a painter and we use it to clean out our airless after spraying alkyd enamel)

i have seen the valley arts finish room, and when they screw up finish on a body it gets a acetone bath.

maybe finish a board with some lacquer and try and remove it as a test?

• Members

Are you sure it's lacquer? Best to test on a hidden area with some lacquer thinner...if it's poly, the thinner won't faze it.

You could also try just hitting the finish with a bit of #0000 steel wool to take the shine off. This can give it that 'silky' feel.

Truly unfinished necks ARE more subject to twists and warpage, simply because the wood is now able to absorb and release moisture, and that makes it less stable. The MM uses a 'gun oil' (the product is called 'Tru-Oil') in light coats on the back of the neck to protect it without the goopy feeling of poly or lacquer.

Larry

Archived