Would Raising the Action Solve This Problem?

Bassified

• Members

I currently have a ESP LTD EC-50 and noticed there was fret buzz on the E-string 17th fret, and fret buzz on the A-string at 19th fret or something.

Basically, these 4 strings (E,A,D,G) each have fret buzz at some fret #. The D and G strings have fret buzz at 18th or 20th. The first 2 string, e and b are ok at all frets though.

Anyway, point is, it's really annoying and I know I'm not fretting it improperly, because the fret buzz exists only at a particular and specific fret. For example, there is no fret buzz on the E-string at 16th or 18th fret, but fret buzz exists only at the 17th fret.

My question is would raising the action solve this problem?

• Members

Raising the action might get rid of the buzz, but the root of the problem sounds like a high fret, so to really fix the problem, and not just treat the symptoms, you'd probably need the frets leveled.

If you can live with the action being a little higher, raising the action is a cheaper/easier way to go.

• Members

I'll get crucified for suggesting this, but if you can't live with higher action, you may be able to cure it with a truss-rod adjustment:

- first check your neck relief and make sure you have a bit to play with. If not (or if you're not sure what "relief" is), then don't go any further

- try taking away a bit of relief by tightening the truss rod. Just a bit; maybe 1/4 turn or so.

- The strings should feel a bit lower, so you can now raise the action back to where you had it by raising the bridge.

- repeat this with small adjustments at a time until you get rid of the buzzing...BUT don't forget to check for buzzing on other strings/frets while you're doing this. At some point, you WILL introduce buzzing at the lower frets. It's a compromise, so don't go too far

- Check your intonation to make sure the truss rod adjustment didn't screw it up.

- make sure the guitar is in tune throughout all of these adjustments

Of course, on a guitar with perfect frets you shouldn't have to do this, but this is real life.

• Members

Originally posted by LAracer

I'll get crucified for suggesting this, but if you can't live with higher action, you may be able to cure it with a truss-rod adjustment:

- first check your neck relief and make sure you have a bit to play with. If not (or if you're not sure what "relief" is), then don't go any further

- try taking away a bit of relief by tightening the truss rod. Just a bit; maybe 1/4 turn or so.

- The strings should feel a bit lower, so you can now raise the action back to where you had it by raising the bridge.

- repeat this with small adjustments at a time until you get rid of the buzzing...BUT don't forget to check for buzzing on other strings/frets while you're doing this. At some point, you WILL introduce buzzing at the lower frets. It's a compromise, so don't go too far

- Check your intonation to make sure the truss rod adjustment didn't screw it up.

Of course, on a guitar with perfect frets you shouldn't have to do this, but this is real life.

Why would you get crucified for suggesting the right amount of relief in a neck??? Depending on the type of neck, radius, etc, he may need more bow than is there....the only thing you say I take exception to is the last statement about perfect frets.....ALL guitars may need more or less relief depending on several factors...

• Members

But inadequate neck relief, which is adjusted by the truss rod, rarely if ever will contribute to buzzing on just on fret.

I also think there is a high or low fret and it could probably be fixed by either a light dressing just in that one area (depending upon how severe the height difference) or even just one fret. Or it may require a full dress to get it perfect. Impossible to say without seeing the guitar and taking some straight edges to it.

I suggest taking a short (like 2 to 3" long) steel rule to the frets in that area and see if it rocks, letting you know there is indeed a high fret.

AJC

• Members

Originally posted by geddins81

Why would you get crucified for suggesting the right amount of relief in a neck??? Depending on the type of neck, radius, etc, he may need more bow than is there....the only thing you say I take exception to is the last statement about perfect frets.....ALL guitars may need more or less relief depending on several factors...

Well, I keep hearing "don't adjust action using the truss-rod", and people argue with me everytime I suggest something like this.

Originally posted by ajcoholic

But inadequate neck relief, which is adjusted by the truss rod, rarely if ever will contribute to buzzing on just on fret.

Even if you get a professional fret leveling done, there will still be one fret higher than the others. It's just a matter of improving tolerances. So if there's not enough relief that one high fret will be the one you notice first.

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

Alright, so I guess I should go with the cheaper way and rasie the action like my acoustic guitar?

I don't think it's really the high fret problem though, because if it is, wouldm't every note in each string have fret buzz at the 17th fret from E to e)? My problem is more scattered, like on the E string, fret buzz exists on the 17th and on the A string, it's only like 19 or something. It's not symetrical.

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

Thanks for the advice.

Alright, so I guess I should go with the cheaper way and rasie the action like my acoustic guitar?

I don't think it's really the high fret problem though, because if it is, wouldm't every note in each string have fret buzz at the 17th fret from E to e)? My problem is more scattered, like on the E string, fret buzz exists on the 17th and on the A string, it's only like 19 or something. It's not symetrical.

Might as well check to see if you need some relief. There's plenty of how-to's on that if you're not familiar with the process. Might solve your problem for free.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

might just wanna bring your guitar to a good tech, get it sorted, and not waste any more time screwing with things that it may or may not be. 'right guy for the job' sorta thing.
:)

Yeah, that way you'll never learn how to do anything with your guitar :rolleyes:

Basic setup is not difficult.

Is it really worth spending $50 to have a $200 guitar professionally set up?

• Members

setting up your guitar (basic setup, ie clean it, restring it, adjust truss rod, adjust string height, set intonation) is easy and relatively quick (maybe takes like an hour). If anything here has to be extreme to get rid of buzzing, ie super high action (is subjective) or too much relief (also could be subjective, I guess) than you need to take it to get setup by somebody who knows how to level frets.

Frets could be higher on one side than the other depending on where the worn areas are... a high fret doesn't necessarily mean buzzing on all strings

• Members

In my experience a poorly adjusted truss rod affects the action/buzzing on a range of frets, not just an individual fret. For example if the neck it too straight (not enough relief) I find it will often buzz off of the lower frets, maybe 1-5, or 1-7, or 1-9 depending on how low the action is set and how straight the neck is. If there is too much relief you may experience high action in the middle of the neck, or if you lower the action to compensate for this the guitar will must likely have excessive fret buzz in the higher frets.

One thing I look for in a properly set up guitar is that if I lower the action (ridiculously low) the guitar will buzz evenly up and down the neck at all frets - there are no high or low spots. Conversly, If I raise the action the buzzes will go away up and down the neck - again no low or high spots.

• Members

Yeah, that way you'll never learn how to do anything with your guitar
:rolleyes:

Basic setup is not difficult.

Is it really worth spending $50 to have a $200 guitar professionally set up?

basic setup is not difficult, or, shouldnt necessarily be difficult.

but going on the assumption, from a post, that everybody is capable of doing such work, is not necessarily a safe assumption around this place, where the most commonly suggested resolve for tuning issues is either buying new tuners, or replacing the entire guitar.

the masses here are not capable of doing all their own tech work.

perhaps starting on one's guitar, which may be waiting to be played, is not the smartest move for entering the world of guitar teching. a used $50 beater would be a far better place to learn about fret leveling, tweaking the truss rod, etc, etc.

great things could come from teching one's own guitar, but a world of {censored} (for the guitar) could also be the result. take a look at ebay.

• Members

From what I know adjusting the truss rod will have minimal effect on higher frets (past 15th fret aprox), due to the fact that the bow or relief it's mostly significant on the lower / center frets and not so much on the higher ones. (an extreme example would be pressing a string on the 21st fret, all of the relief will be then behind the freted string and therefore unaffected by it, only bridge height/neck angle/fret leveling would be significant then)

• Members

Hm, so is tre majority for or against me adjusting it myself?

Personally, I never had to do any guitar tech except for simple cleaning and tuning the instrument. When I bought my Fender Precision Bass, nothing was wrong with it and I was pretty satisfied with pretty much everything regardless of what people say.

Anyway, obviously this is not the same for my ESP, so really, I don't want to do something myself and then screw up, unless it's really simple. I'm not good with tech.

• Members

but going on the assumption, from a post, that everybody is capable of doing such work, is not necessarily a safe assumption around this place,

Yeah, maybe you're right. I mean just judging by some responses on this and similar threads...it's hard to believe that people really understand so little about such a simple machine. I guess these are the same people that take their car to Jiffy Lube for a oil change?

I definitely agree about using a beater to experiment with if you're considering something permanent like fret leveling (which, btw, I wouldn't touch), but I'm not sure there's much to screw up with bridge/neck adjustments. Pretty much anything you f-up can be sorted out by a proper tech.

• Members

Yeah, maybe you're right. I mean just judging by some responses on this and similar threads...it's hard to believe that people really understand so little about such a simple machine. I guess these are the same people that take their car to Jiffy Lube for a oil change?

I definitely agree about using a beater to experiment with if you're considering something permanent like fret leveling (which, btw, I wouldn't touch), but I'm not sure there's much to screw up with bridge/neck adjustments. Pretty much anything you f-up can be sorted out by a proper tech.

dont get me wrong --- i'm all for the DIY ethic.

while i'm waiting on the tech :rolleyes:

for me, its two things: knowing the guitar will be taken care of expertly, and then, the convenience factor.

the techs i visit are top-notch. that makes it a sure thing, as opposed to me, a friend, or a GC tech taking care of stuff. thats worth it to me. not that any one of us couldnt learn, but....

the convenience factor -- simple enough: its worth it to me to not have to learn, then sorta fix, then relearn, then refix. i could have been doing whatever else, and the $40ish is well worth it to me -- regardless of the retail value of the guitar.

on that --- i think its far better to take some of the 'savings' from a low-rent guitar and immediately put that into a real good once over by qualified personnel -- haha -- and know that theres not any fret issues, no neck twists, etc. setup'd be done just right, and everything'd be kosher (or not, but it wouldnt be decided by a 17yr old). from that point on, many things would be simple routine maintenance, and easier for anybody to tackle.

and granted, it's tough to really screw up beyond resolve, but the Erlewine book and a beater Squier or the like is a safer way for all involved to start, rather than what could've been a #1, or at least #2.

simple stuff i take care of, but anything thats more than a few minutes of my time, i've got better things to do than be a guitar tech. for the hobbyist guitar tech an/or pro player, its a different story, as each requires a certain comitment, but i just signed up to be a guitar player. :)

and i'm not sayin all this to be a bitch, though i may come off as one, but it just kills me to think about all the poor guitars suffering over somebody's misguided efforts. :cry:

and all the money wasted on replcaement tuners, that should've rightly been spent as down payment on a nice little tube amp :cry:

or the people filing nuts and saddles with fingernail-clipper files :cry:

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

Hm, so is tre majority for or against me adjusting it myself?

Personally, I never had to do any guitar tech except for simple cleaning and tuning the instrument. When I bought my Fender Precision Bass, nothing was wrong with it and I was pretty satisfied with pretty much everything regardless of what people say.

Anyway, obviously this is not the same for my ESP, so really, I don't want to do something myself and then screw up, unless it's really simple. I'm not good with tech.

well, i guess you know now where i stand, huh :rolleyes:

have you got a trustworthy tech?

a common sign of a great tech is a long wait, so if the tech you find has a 6-week wait, theres a good chance thats the guy.:D

and if you dont mind, ask him to detail what any issues were, and let us know, please?

• Members

It's just fret buzz, but fret buzz can be caused from a lot of factors, ie. high frets, low action, yada yada.

yeah, i am only a guitar player. u tell give me tab or sheet music and that's what i'll play, but if you ask me how to fix a guitar, i dunno.

so it's either learn how to fix my own guitar or pay $50 and not have to worry about screwing up-judging by how the professional will do it perfectly.

• Members

well, i guess you know now where i stand, huh
:rolleyes:

have you got a trustworthy tech?

a common sign of a great tech is a
long
wait, so if the tech you find has a 6-week wait, theres a good chance thats the guy.
:D

and if you dont mind, ask him to detail what any issues were, and let us know, please?

I don't know any techs, because i never went to any repair shops besides buying my gear at tom lee, l&m and some other guitar shop.

i can always play with distortion and the fret buzz seems to go away, i think.

• Members

Even if you get a professional fret leveling done, there will still be one fret higher than the others.

I am an amateur guitar builder and I can get my frets within a few thousandths... if you have one high fret you aint payin' for a decent fret job.

On my home made guitars I fretted myself there are NO buzzing on any frets, any string all up and down the neck.

It can be done... and I still dont think adjusting the truss rod is the answer, IF there is already adequate neck relief and if you dont strum very hard you can even have a nearly flat neck without issues.

AJC

Archived