65 American Strat

tamlyn1

• Members

Does anyone know if Fender has made a reissue of a 65 strat American in sonic blue.

Since Lennon and Harrison each owned one of these, it would seem that they would have but I have looked almost everywhere I can think of.

If anyone knows of one I am really interested in buying one( made in USA only and Fender name brand only) ]

If nobody knows of one does anyone know a place to look up every version of strats Fender made and the colors?

Thanks guys

• Members

Lennon and Harrison played 61 strats

you are talking about the sonic blue ones they played during Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, and Magical Mystery Tour, right?

of course those are the only strats they had (Lennon stopped using it in 66, but Harrison used it until around 68)

but ya, they were 61's

blue2.jpg

Harrison's sonic blue strat after he painted it with day-glo colors and his wife's nail polish in 1967, nicknamed "Rocky"

it's seen on the "I am the Walrus" video

billsrocky.jpg

• Members

Hondro,

I researched the info you gave me on your last post and you are right! At least part right, Mal Evans was sent in 65 to get 2 strats, he came back with 2 sonic blue ones, Ine with a white pickguard (Lennons) the othe with a mint green pickguard(Harrisons) It was discovered later Harrisons neck had been stamped 61.

There is no mention of this being the case with Lennons guitar. If you have information to the contrary PLEASE tell me before I buy a 1 off for all the wrong reasons,

Thanks Tammy

• Members

Originally posted by tamlyn1

Hondro,

I researched the info you gave me on your last post and you are right! At least part right, Mal Evans was sent in 65 to get 2 strats, he came back with 2 sonic blue ones, Ine with a white pickguard (Lennons) the othe with a mint green pickguard(Harrisons) It was discovered later Harrisons neck had been stamped 61.

There is no mention of this being the case with Lennons guitar. If you have information to the contrary PLEASE tell me before I buy a 1 off for all the wrong reasons,

Thanks Tammy

they're both 61's

practically identical

in fact, Harrison's had already been out at a different guitar store before it made it to the one that Mal went to in 65

it had "Grimwoods- The Music People" stamped on the back of the headstock

they are both 61's though, IIRC, Sonic blue was only available in 61 or around then

either way, you arent buying a real 61 Stratocaster so an American Vintage 62 RI Strat will suffice:rolleyes:

• Members

yeah the wrong reason for me. My reasons for looking to buy a replica of George Harrisons collection are my own. They have nothing to do with what guitars I most frequently play or use in the studio or let be used by clients because it is part of a private collection. I don't particularly like strats or telecasters but I have 9 strats anf 7 tele's. I do play some of them if I am looking for a certian tone but they are either masterbuilt, or vintage guitars and have done well over the years compared to any stocks, or any other investments I own. So if owning a viable' realaitivley fluid, investment thar can be liquidated without too much disclosure and that you can make money with and have fun with in the meantime is the wrong reasons I guess I will just have to suffer.

:)

Tammy

• Members

yeah the wrong reason for me. My reasons for looking to buy a replica of George Harrisons collection are my own. They have nothing to do with what guitars I most frequently play or use in the studio or let be used by clients because it is part of a private collection. I don't particularly like strats or telecasters but I have 9 strats anf 7 tele's. I do play some of them if I am looking for a certian tone but they are either masterbuilt, or vintage guitars and have done well over the years compared to any stocks, or any other investments I own. So if owning a viable' realaitivley fluid, investment thar can be liquidated without too much disclosure and that you can make money with and have fun with in the meantime is the wrong reasons I guess I will just have to suffer.

Tammy

sounds good to me

• Members

Tammy

ok in my book

but it's a 61, that's the strat you want, in sonic blue:o

Archived