Seymour Duncan tele pickups

teardrop

• Members

Hey just wondering if you guys have any experience w/ SD tele pickups. The only one I've tried is the Broadcaster, and I didnt like it all, sounds rather thin and shrill to me, I was interested in hearing comments about the others especially the Jerry Donahue model. I'm looking for a bridge pickup that still cuts and twangs like a good tele but isnt too ice-picky. Thanks for reading.

• Members

I've used the Seymour Duncan Little 59 pickup in the bridge of both a Standard Tele and 72 Tele Custom reissue and have been very happy with it. It's a stacked mini humbucker in a single coil size that drops right into the bridge cavity with no modifications. I also installed a push/pull coil tap switch to be able to use it in single coil or humbucker mode. I'm not a fan of that traditional bright Tele twang, and this pickup offers a bit more full bodied sound in humbucker mode, although is definitely not dark or muddy by any means and still sounds like a Tele. In single coil mode it's plenty bright, although I rarely use it like that. I only use the bridge pickup for lead with distortion, and for that the Little 59 is awesome. Of course tone is subjective, but I really like this pickup in a Tele.

• Members

I just had SD antiquities install in my 04 MIM tele and I'm really happy with them. Bridge pup is full and balanced, no more icepick tones, neck pup is very warm and dark, great for blues...roll off the tone knob and you get a very useable and sweet jazz tone. They sound only a little better than my MIM's under distortion, but again that's not what those pups are designed for.

• Members
Originally posted by Mister Crowley

I just had SD antiquities install in my 04 MIM tele and I'm really happy with them. Bridge pup is full and balanced, no more icepick tones, neck pup is very warm and dark, great for blues...roll off the tone knob and you get a very useable and sweet jazz tone. They sound only a little better than my MIM's under distortion, but again that's not what those pups are designed for.

hey have you noticed any squealing or noise from the antiquity bridge under gain or high volumes? I ask because it isnt wax-potted like the other pickups, and I play at pretty loud volumes sometimes, and need something that would be squeal-free ;)

Archived