Tele neck pickup?

timmy210

• Members

Does anyone else think the neck pickup on a telecaster is utterly useless? I tried tons of telecasters at GC yesterday and ever time I played on the neck pickup I just thought it was the weakest blandest thing I've ever heard. The only thing its good for is the middle position when both p-ups are engaged. Anyone else think the same thing?

• Members

Depends on what kind of pick ups are in them, personally I use custom shop texas tele's with the four position selector mod and the neck pup sounds great. Now in the strat are Lindy Fralin pups and if you can afford them they are awesome. Haven't tried the LF tele pickups but if there as good as the strat ones then go for them and your neck pup sound will be good.....:)

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

Does anyone else think the neck pickup on a telecaster is utterly useless? I tried tons of telecasters at GC yesterday and ever time I played on the neck pickup I just thought it was the weakest blandest thing I've ever heard. The only thing its good for is the middle position when both p-ups are engaged. Anyone else think the same thing?

The muddy neck tone provides a poultice for the ice pick in the ear bridge tone.

:)

• Members

Does anyone else think the neck pickup on a telecaster is utterly useless? I tried tons of telecasters at GC yesterday and ever time I played on the neck pickup I just thought it was the weakest blandest thing I've ever heard.

I happen to like it a lot. different pickups sound different though. which models did you play?

• Members

I like the neck PU on my stock MIM Tele. I use it for power chord practice with a bit of gain from the amp. Also when I'm doing blues stuff on the clean channel. One day I'll change the PUs, but I'm more than happy with them for now.

L8R

Raths

• Members

I used to think so too, and was deadset on going for more of an Esquire feel on my tele by foregoing the neck pickup until I heard a clip of Dimarzio's Virtual T Neck position pickup.... no silver cover lik a regular tele neck pickup, but DAMN! Sounds glassy and bitey-- finally, a useful tele neck pickup in my book!

It's seriously making me rethink going the Esquire route...

• Members

I have the Virtual Tele Neck on a LTD Hybrid. Beautiful pup, gets all those classic rock tones and mixes very well with the Virtual PAF Bridge. There is no volume loss when going fom the neck to the bridge. If you roll down the tone you get a very functional jazz too.

I just ordered some of Pete Biltofts Vintage Vibe tele pups for a tele I've been building. I've been collecting the parts for about a year now. I ordered them on Thursday night, and pups shipped out on Saturday morning. Amazing service. I'll post a review once they arrive and the guitar is fullly assembled.

tele040yx.th.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by appar111

I used to think so too, and was deadset on going for more of an Esquire feel on my tele by foregoing the neck pickup until I heard a clip of Dimarzio's Virtual T Neck position pickup.... no silver cover lik a regular tele neck pickup, but DAMN! Sounds glassy and bitey-- finally, a useful tele neck pickup in my book!

If you pull the cover off of any Tele neck pup you get a lot more bite.

On my #1 rock and roll Tele I have a Duncan designed Scorcher now which sounds a lot like a regular Tele neck pup with the 250k pot but has the output to keep up with Pre B1 in the tail. I plan on taking that out and putting in a Strat neck ala Jerry Donahue.

• Members

Originally posted by Pepi

Very useful position. Try a Dimarzio twang-king with a Jerry Donahue bridge
:thu:

The guys over at the telecaster page rave about this combo. I came very close to getting this or a all twang king combo. i ended up witht the Vintage Vibe set.

There's a great thread on SD's forum regarding ultimate tele tone.

http://seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4044

I can't stand that ice pick in the brain tone. It makes my eyelids flutter. I love the tone the Hellcasters squeeze out of thier G&L's and Fenders.

• Members

thats wack son, check yo self.

• Members

not me! :p

I like'em just fine;)

• Members

I used to think my tele neck pickup was a little rubbish and weedy too because it had significantly less output than the bridge pickup (and the other 2 pickups as well now I think of it). But on clean and slightly crunchy overdrive that pickup is always what I go for with an EQ pedal to help boost it up to par with the rest. It gives the sweetest chime and lovely warm mids which nothing else has been able to top.

TeleBodyTop.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

My suggestion: convert to Esquire or use a neck humbucker model.
:cool::D

If you don't have a hot bridge pickup in your tele, and want to go w/ a neck humbucker, a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell might pair nicely w/ a tele bridge pickup..

• Members

Same by my Rockinger tele.

Installed a Duncan Cool Rail. Looks unusual but sounds great on solos with moderate distortion. Glassy, very neck-licke tone.

Originally posted by appar111

• Members

cool man, did you ever see Steve Morse's old Frankenstein Tele (Tele Body, Strat Neck) with 4 PUs?. Looks like you are copying the style of it

Originally posted by krish

I used to think my tele neck pickup was a little rubbish and weedy too because it had significantly less output than the bridge pickup (and the other 2 pickups as well now I think of it). But on clean and slightly crunchy overdrive that pickup is always what I go for with an EQ pedal to help boost it up to par with the rest. It gives the sweetest chime and lovely warm mids which nothing else has been able to top.

TeleBodyTop.jpg

http:

• Members

I've never actually heard of steve morse but I typed it in on google images and I think I saw what you meant. Difference is mine can give the sweetest tele tone when I want it to, I don't know how the hell his did if it did at all. Every pickup on my guitar has its own unique tone and gives me an uber versatile axe to work with.

Archived