Celtic Women wireless microphones

• Members

I have recently caught a couple of live performances of a group from Ireland called Celtic Women. They are all wearing headset wireless mics that are hardly visible and sit alongside their mouths.

I have searched all my catalogues and can't find a headset mic that looks like the one being used. The are very small and appear to have a capsule about an eighth of an inch in diameter.

Anyone have any idea what system they may be using? They have a bunch of them on stage, with all the lead singers and the chorus using them.

It looks like a perfect unobtrusive wireless mic for our lead singer.

• Members

AFAIK there's a bunch of headsets like this on the market from a variety of manufacturers. I think it's just a lavalier style mic element that's attatched to a headset instead of relying on a clip. The shure WBH53 is one that's fairly unobtrusive, and I know I've seen flesh colored ones by other manufactuers. The point is, if you keep looking you might find one better suited for your singer than the DPA model.

• Members

Originally posted by stage7

AFAIK there's a bunch of headsets like this on the market from a variety of manufacturers. I think it's just a lavalier style mic element that's attatched to a headset instead of relying on a clip. The shure WBH53 is one that's fairly unobtrusive, and I know I've seen flesh colored ones by other manufactuers. The point is, if you keep looking you might find one better suited for your singer than the DPA model.

Well, as I said, I had been searching but couldn't find any wireless headset mics that were that small.

And again, I have heard these gals on TV in concert and the sound was stunning, so the DPA mics seem to work.

It surprised me because the element is so small and sits alongside the mouth yet still seems to pick up the vocals with great precision. From an audience perspective, I would imagine the mics are darn near invisible.. Only with camera closeup's could I discern what they were using.

Is there something wrong with the DPA mics?

• Members

Nothing at all, I always just find that it helps to know all my options before purchasing something. DPA makes great mics. In fact, a little bit more looking into it revealed that there is an option for beige colored headbands and mic for that model.

• Members

Very common in theatre, and especially in megachurches.

Let's see, there's the DPA 4065 and 4066 - probably the best mics out there. The Countryman E6 is very popular. Audio-Technica makes one too, the AT892c. These are all the very small type, not the big Garth Brooks sort of head mic.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

FWIW, you do know all that Celtic women crap is fake, right?

You need to 'splain it to me Lucy..

You mean it's all pre-recorded and all they do is lip sync?

I could believe that. They sure didn't sound like any live concert I have heard, but if true, I give them a lot of credit for doing a great job of syncing with the recording.

I watched two hand drummers and they were right on, and the fiddle playing gal also made it look live.

So.. I'll give them the Millie Vanilli award for best fake performance..if indeed they aren't live.

• Members

Yes it's all prerecorded, being played to track. Watch them hulk like bodran players, notice the hand holding the drum. Well, in order to play a bodran, you need to move that hand quite extensively, which is why bodran players play sitting down.

Watch the left hand on the fiddle, it won't correspond to what you're hearing.

It's all about marketing, hot women and scuplted men, and selling the package.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Yes it's all prerecorded, being played to track. Watch them hulk like bodran players, notice the hand holding the drum. Well, in order to play a bodran, you need to move that hand quite extensively, which is why bodran players play sitting down.

Watch the left hand on the fiddle, it won't correspond to what you're hearing.

It's all about marketing, hot women and scuplted men, and selling the package.

Wow... "It's all about marketing, hot women and sculpted men, and selling the package"???????????

Is THAT why there aren't any talented, bald fat guys or women with bad teeth within the top two hundred selling CD's?

Is THAT why we get pure musical crap being played today by semi naked women?

Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

Hey, at least I like the music the Celtic Women are doing.. Whoever is singing and playing on their recordings sounds good to me.

Archived