sorting out this telecaster (picture now added)

tbx

• Members

any way to tell for sure about what kind of telecaster you're buying? a guy is selling what he thinks is a blue 1993 USA fender Tele with plain maple neck. so far, i've only seen photos but it looks awesome clean in those, and the initial asking price is 550, which seems like a real good price to me. is it really, or am i mistaken?

but how can you tell if you're looking at this telecaster or that telecaster if someone is ... uh... mistaken about its origins? like if this were actually MI?? instead of MIUSA, or a rebadged squier, or whatever?

any help would make me real happy - especially if it saves me overpaying for some kind of rawdeal.

dRJIgdVSfgTfvw15OB2JH74hwVtr.jpg

• Members

i know it has only been a couple of hours or so, but so far 40+ views on the telecaster boards and no joy in terms of assistance.

hm. then again, the guy hasn't gotten back in touch to say whether he still has it or not, either, so maybe the question will be moot.

but if anyone here has any other ideas about the fairness of the price or how to check authenticity, pls do let me know. cheers.

• Members
Originally posted by tbx

any way to tell for sure about what kind of telecaster you're buying? a guy is selling what he thinks is a blue 1993 USA fender Tele with plain maple neck. so far, i've only seen photos but it looks awesome clean in those, and the initial asking price is 550, which seems like a real good price to me. is it really, or am i mistaken?

but how can you tell if you're looking at this telecaster or that telecaster if someone is ... uh... mistaken about its origins? like if this were actually MI?? instead of MIUSA, or a rebadged squier, or whatever?

any help would make me real happy - especially if it saves me overpaying for some kind of rawdeal.

dRJIgdVSfgTfvw15OB2JH74hwVtr.jpg

What you need is a good pic of the bridge... It's tiny, but it does look like an AmStd bridge. The intonation screws would be offset and the saddles sintered steel (not smooth and shiny). Also, it does look like it has 22 frets. Can you post more pics?

• Members
Originally posted by tbx

uHwuf4OQzeJCMOVbRY0VxntyfW12.jpg

vf8ONdIqMDHpEdUDOB1HNvRTkeTH.jpg

these are all the images he's offering. got word from him that he's out til tomorrow in the AM.

From what I can see, that's an American Standard strung with D'Addarios. :) If it's a '93, it's definitely when they had more of D shape than the C shape they have now (they now have a little more meat in the "shoulders" of the neck, or the area towards the ends of the fretboard).

Archived