Properly setting up my gear...

• Members

Hello,

I recently purchased an MBox2 Pro Ignition pack with ProTools 7.0, Symetrix 528E Voice Processor, Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro and an EV-RE27 mic. I am setting this system up to do voiceover work strictly.

Can anyone provide me with how I am to hook all the equipment up to achieve the correct and most advantageous recording when using the system? More specifically, can you describe the sequence as how to setup the system and what jacks are used going from one piece of equipment to the other and then to the next piece? I have read the manuals but am still confused.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

crusso

• Members

You would run your mic through the Symetrix first and then into the MBox. I haven't used an Mbox for a while, but I remember there are three settings for the input. You would set the input setting as a 'line' setting. You wouldn't go through your mixer with the Symetrix.

I'm guessing that you would hardly need your mixer except for slaving external MIDI instruments for mixing.

I'm guessing that for voice overs, you'd probably import a previously recorded audio file, set up new audio files as needed and then record through your Symetrix onto the new audio files. Then mix in the box and bounce the final mix.

• Members

Hi Ethan,

I truly appreciate your response to the question I posed on Harmony Central

regarding hooking up my equipment. Something that your article does not

take into account is the fact that I am also running a Symetrix 528E voice

processor. Just so you know, all the equipment I am using is as follows; an

Electrovoice RE-27 mic, Symetrix 528E voice processor, MBox2 Factory Pro

with Ignition Pack, Mackie 1202VLZ-Pro and AKG K-601 headphones. I have

quite a number of plugins along with a couple of thousand sound files for

background music, sounds, etc. such as ones I bought from CBS.

I am sorry to bother you about this again but after reading the link you

supplied still am not too sure of how to hook everything up. Right now,

it

• Members

Something that your article does not

take into account is the fact that I am also running a Symetrix 528E voice

processor. Just so you know, all the equipment I am using is as follows; an

Electrovoice RE-27 mic, Symetrix 528E voice processor, MBox2 Factory Pro

with Ignition Pack, Mackie 1202VLZ-Pro and AKG K-601 headphones. I have

quite a number of plugins along with a couple of thousand sound files for

background music, sounds, etc. such as ones I bought from CBS.

I have two answers for you:

1) Outboard gear meant to be used while recording, such as your voice processor, should be patched into the Insert chain of your Mackie mixer. The usual way is with a special adapter cable that connects between the processor and the mixer. But in your case you need to go from the mixer to the processor, then from the processor to the sound card's input for recording.

2) A better solution is to sell the processor and just use plug-ins after the fact for all processing. Modern digital recording, even with "only" 16 bits, is plenty clean. In the old days we used to have to compress and boost treble when needed while recording to get above the tape hiss. (If you compressed or EQ'd later you'd also boost the hiss.) These days that's not necessary. I record everything clean and add all processing during mixing. Not only is this easier, it also avoids committing to an effect permanently. That is, if you add processing to a track while recording and later decide you don't like it, it's too late.

I sold all my outboard gear about five years. I'm now totally "in the box" using Sonar, and I've never looked back.

--Ethan

• Members

I don't understand the reason for using an MBox insert for the Symetrix processor. The Symetrix processor is a microphone preamp. If you put it in the inserts section of the MBox it would be after the MBox mic preamp, which would probably be inferior to the Symetrix mic preamp and add an extra source of noise. Also, it's my understanding that every iteration of a plug-in adds some amount of unwanted distortion. It's arguable that software plugins don't sound as good as their hardware equivalents that you have in your Symetrix box.

• Members

I also have a Symetrix 528e vocal processor, and the signal chain should be simple. From the mic to the preamp (528e) to the interface to the computer.

You don't need a mixer, just take the output of the 528e into the interface.

Since you need a preamp for just about any studio mic, I really have no idea how you can eliminate "outboard" gear and use plug ins.

What plug in replaces a mic pre?

I have been very impressed with the Symetrix unit and found it is easy to dial in a great signal from just about any mic, and that no additional manipulation, EQ, or plug in help of any kind other than volume is required in the box.

With the Symetrix unit, there is no need for a mixer, which would add additional noise to the signal chain. Simply go mic to pre to interface.

• Members

The MBox allows you the choice of using its built-in preamp, a DI or a line level. With the Symetrix, you would set the MBox to line level and bypass the Mbox preamp. I don't understand the suggestion of using the Symetrix as an insert instead of a line level input.

• Members

Thanks for all your answers! I appreciate each of you taking the time to reply!

Unfortunately, with the little different answers between using the processor and getting rid of all outboard gear, I am really confused! : ) I have an buddy that uses outbaord gear and I have made a couple of recordings at his place. His setup pretty much the same only he has a pretty expensive Neumann mic and a Presonus processor. I could see upgrading to a high end Neumann, such as his, once I get rolling.

Any more input would be appreciated!!

• Members

The Symetrix is a mic pre. Any mic preamp should be directly connected to your convertor. The exception is if you want to EQ or compress before A/D conversion, then you would run your mic pre directly into those boxes and then directly past your mixer into the convertor.

It is a mistake to connect a self contained microphone preamp, like your Symetrix, into the mixer; unless you wanted to send mix stems to your mixer to make use of outboard equipment after you record. Then you would patch your Symetrix to an insert on a channel. You could do that. However, since the MBox has only 2 analog channels out, that wouldn't make sense because then you would have one side of your mix processed and the other not. Then you would be repatching you Symetrix for use as a mic preamp for recording and later as a voice processor for mixing.

Unless you're adding several pieces of outboard gear like hardware reverb, hardware compressors and hardware EQ, and/or slaving MIDI synths to your DAW, there's no purpose in having an outboard mixer with the MBox. The MBox is designed so you don't need an outboard mixer for a basic recording situation as you've described.

Archived